Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine modifications/ longevity

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:33 AM
baldjohnny
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine modifications/ longevity

Been following the board for awhile now, did a stage 1 on the bike after reading reviews and comments from everyone. Pleased with the performance, but sometimesthere's an "itch" to have a little more. Obviouslya lotof the members have put some big time money in modifying their powerplants, and in resulting posts have seen a few comments that they're not so concerned with how long it lasts (within reason), but more so how much fun they have with it.

Is it a given that modifying the output of the engine that there's a direct correlation between how long it stays "healthy"? Might sound like a stupid question, but got a lot of miles out of my old EVO that was basically stock. Is there a certain point in the hop-up process where you realize engine life could be shortened? Or is it just a matter of how well it's done?

John

2007 FLHTC
TMAX w/ AT, Fatcats, ANBS

Old 04-10-2008, 04:52 PM
IronLegend
Tourer
Default RE: Engine modifications/ longevity

According to the'INDY' Iuse, if it's done properly with quality components the longevity would not be affected.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it is built, and tuned properly, a performance build will last as long as a stock engine unless you abuse the hell outta it do to having more power on tap. There is a point wher you start to lose longevity, but it is way beyond what most here on the forum have done.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:14 AM
baldjohnny
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, that's what I wanted to hear.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:27 AM
zoomie67
Tourer

From my conversations with several engine builders a modified engine can actually be more reliable than a stock engine considering it is done properly. Anything up to around 10:1 compression and .600 lift cams should be very reliable and get up to around 100,000 miles before requiring a rebuild of some sort. Once you get into the 10.5:1 + compression the longevity of the engine may be reduced abit just beause the higher comp engines are a bit harder on the rings andvalve train.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

A good performance package from a reputable vendor will probably last as long or longer since it will produced to tighter specs than the mass-produced HD stock engine, use better components, and assembled with greater attention to detail.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:46 AM
baldjohnny
Cruiser

That makes complete sense Pingman, attention to detail has got to be a plus when putting an engine together. That's making my decision to modify much more feasible, in my mind the package is the only way to go. I'm not astute enough to say what will work and what won't, definitely don't want to plunk some hard earned money down on mix/ match pieces and regret it. I'm in the process of speaking to a builder about a package job, just wanted to sort the reality of modifications and what I can expect for reliability. Thanks for the help.