Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intro and opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:15 PM
patsfan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro and opinions please

Did an intro in the New Member section, but this is where I spend most of my time, so, hello, and glad to finally chime in. Been reading and using the search extensively for quite some time. First of all, thanks to so many of you here that really go out of your way to help folks with problems and answer questions, I sure have learned alot. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who has had nothing but positive experiences from my dealer, before and after the sale, knock on wood.
There is one area I'm having trouble with and would like some opinions.
The stock handlebars on my 08' Roadking are killing my upper back, right at the base of my neck. It starts as a burn that turns into an ache that just seems to grow after about 30-40 miles. I'm 5'11" with average length arm. I have narrowed down my search for new bars, to, either Wild Ones 10" or 12.5" mini apes. I've found a source for the extended clutch, upper abs lines. I'm being told that no wiring extension for the 10" is needed, prolly needed for 12.5. Not sure about the cruise control.
Can I get some opinions on the pros and cons, personal experiences, from those who ride with either of these two size bars? I'll shut up and listen now. Thanks in advance

Old 04-09-2008, 09:23 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts
Default RE: Intro and opinions please

If a dealer near you has a Road King Police, it uses a different set of bars. Sit on it and try it out and see how it works for ya

Old 04-09-2008, 10:08 PM
patsfan
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: dawg

If a dealer near you has a Road King Police, it uses a different set of bars. Sit on it and try it out and see how it works for ya
I have checked those out and they feel about right. Heritage bars, correct? Dealer says their not available yet for 08 tbw. Couldn't locate them anywhere else, either.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

The Heritage bars that are on the 08 Road King cop bikes are available (cuz they're on the bike!) You can also adapt any set of bars that you would like for the 08's. Several of us here have done just that. Heck, I had Khromewerks bars on my 08 since last August along with Kuryakyn ISO grips both of which were adapted and several months before aftermarket came out with anything.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:43 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have not had experience with either bar you mention but many on this forum have solved your problem with both these apes. Which one you get is just a matter of taste. Personally, I think I would get the 12.5" but I do think you can use your original cables with the 10" and save some money.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:06 PM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know about the bars but welcome!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:10 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am also 5'11" with a 08 RK and experience the exact same discomfort you described. I amalso trying to figure out what bars to get. I'm thinking that coming back 2" and up 2" would be just about right.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:51 AM
captsam54
Road Master

ORIGINAL: sealbeachbum

I am also 5'11" with a 08 RK and experience the exact same discomfort you described. I amalso trying to figure out what bars to get. I'm thinking that coming back 2" and up 2" would be just about right.
GEEZ.. I am thinking I have heard this somewhere before... [:@]

DAWG.. Is always ahead of the curve..

Klockwerks makes a bar too..

Question.. Were talking Road Glide here, and not SG.. I am assuming the Police bike bars will not fit with the 11.5" fairing holes??

Old 04-10-2008, 08:14 AM
EG Dave
Cruiser

Dawg,

I heard that was a viable fix.... have you done the mod?

Dave

Old 04-10-2008, 09:33 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I also get a pain when riding, right at the base of my neck on the left side. It sometimes makes it painful to look over my left shoulder when changing lanes or merging. I changed my stock bars to wide glide bars, first kinda forward like apes(in sig), no help. Then I pulled them back to be in the same line as the front end, still no luck. I am thinking of pulling them back closer to me some more, to put a little more bend in my elbows and see if that makes it any better. Some here have said that it could also be a matter of being to tense when riding, I can believe that in heavy traffic, but it still bothers me when no one else is around. Good luck on your search for comfort bars and welcome to the touring section.

Quick Reply: Intro and opinions please