Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Understand the Harley Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 06:28 AM
TakeNoCrap
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Understand the Harley Engine

ORIGINAL: jcbpa

Check this site out http://www.bigcitythunder.com/pages/product-fit.html these guys have figured this stuff out. I ran some of their baffles on my 1600 Vulcan and it really made a difference. Their stuff is so simple it's incredible, but it works. Let me know what you think.

Best,
J
The 2 into 1 pipes are great but no one can match pipes to your build. Theres always something thats a little different in one way or another. tuning your pipes yourself can get them exactly wwhere you want them and you dont have to spend the $$$. I like my reinharts. Dont want a two into one pipe. So I want to tune mine.

I would love to know how in the world , when I constrict the air flow, that I get more torque when one would think constricting air flow would do the opposite.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:35 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

When running free flowing exhaust,that is the trick fordailing in the backpressure,using the spark plugs as the tuning aid.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:41 AM
TakeNoCrap
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Understanding Exhaust:
The How & Why
[size=3]
No exhaust system is ideal for all applications. Depending on their design and purpose, all exhaust systems compromise something to achieve something else. Before performing exhaust changes or modifications to increase performance, it is critical to determine what kind of performance you want. * Do you want the best possible low-end and mid-range power or maximum top-end power? * Will you be using an aftermarket cam with different lift, duration, timing and overlap? * Have you investigated the relationship between torque (force) and horsepower (amount of work within time)? * Do you want a cosmetic exhaust system or a performance exhaust system?
Without careful thought about these variables, an exhaust system can yield very disappointing results. On the other hand, a properly designed and tuned exhaust system that is well-matched to the engine can provide outstanding power gains.
The distinction between "maximum power" and "maximum performance" is significant beyond general discussion. Realistically, one exhaust system may not produce both maximum power and maximum performance. For a motorcycle to cover "X" distance as quickly as possible, it is not the highest peak power generated by the engine that is most critical. It is the highest average power generated across the distance that typically produces the quickest time. When comparing two horsepower curves on a dynamometer chart (assuming other factors remain constant), the curve containing the greatest average power is the one that will typically cover the distance in the least time and that curve may, or may not, contain the highest possible peak power.
In the strictest technical sense, an exhaust system cannot produce more power on its own. The potential power of an engine is determined by the proper amount of fuel available for combustion. However, the efficiency of combustion and engine pumping processes is profoundly influenced by the exhaust system. A properly designed exhaust system can reduce engine pumping losses. Therefore, the design objective for a high performance exhaust is (or should be) to reduce engine-pumping losses, and by so doing, increase volumetric efficiency. The net result of reduced pumping losses is more power available to move the motorcycle. As volumetric efficiency increases, potential fuel mileage also increases because less throttle opening is required to move the motorcycle at the same velocity.
Much controversy (and apparent confusion) surrounds the issue of exhaust "back-pressure". Many performance-minded people who are otherwise knowledgeable still cling tenaciously to the old school concept.... "You need more back-pressure for better performance."
For virtually all high performance purposes, backpressure in an exhaust system increases
engine-pumping losses and decreases available engine power. It is true that some engines are mechanically tuned to "X" amount of backpressure and can show a loss of low-end torque when that backpressure is reduced. It is also true that the same engine that lost low-end torque with reduced back-pressure can be mechanically re-tuned to show an increase of low-end torque with the same reduction of back-pressure. More importantly, maximum mid-to-high RPM power will be achieved with the lowest possible backpressure. Period!
[left][font="times new roman"]The objective of most engine modifications is to maximize the proper air and fuel flow into, and exhaust flow out of the engine. The inflow of an air/fuel mixture is a separate issue, but it is directly influenced by exhaust flow, particularly during valve ov

Old 04-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Very informative post.

Back pressure as a performance enhancer is going to be hard myth to kill. Maybe the above info will shed some light on the subject.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Fascinating post and subject!