Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 03:38 AM
merlini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

My 2004 Ultra Classic has a problem with the check engine light. When I turn on the ignition the check engine light comes on as it's supposed to then goes out. about 10 seconds later, it reappears for about 20 seconds, engine running or not. The dealer has checked this problem twice (2 different dealers) and both times it was coded for cylinders not firing on both cylinders. they reset it - cleared the code once and that lasted about 400 miles. The second time they kept the bike a week and said they couldn't find anything but cleaned and reset every plug in the electrical system. That lasted about 2000 miles. Now it's back again. I have 11 months left on the warranty and I'm not sure they will figure it out.

Any ideas? Now that the light has reappeared at startup, I notice an occasional loss of power, it comes and goes. Like something is trying to go bad. When I explained that to the dealer, he looked at me funny and said they (Harleys) are supposed to vibrate. I then told him that it was more like a dead miss. And the code seemed to agree.

Old 03-06-2005, 04:19 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: Check Engine Light

If they don't figure it out this time, try another dealer.

Old 03-06-2005, 04:30 AM
Markcuda
Banned

My light cleared itself after a bunch of starts, the light will go away but that does not explaine your power loss.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:18 AM
investorsc
Road Master

The power loss is due to running on one cylinder---Has any checked your ignition coil for intermittent operation------ I think the light is telling the truth- and the coil may be the fault- breaking down under load or heat.

Just my .02,

BRUCE

Old 03-06-2005, 08:47 AM
05RdKing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also suggest keeping all documentation on this problem (as well as keeping notes on who/when/where/time you talk to someone, and get everything in writing) since your warranty is so close to the end, so you might have some recourse if the problem comes back shortly after warr expires - you don't want to get caught with some expensive repair, and like pococj said, try another dealer.

Old 03-06-2005, 12:23 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting question coming...

If you start this problem now...keep at it for the next 11 months...and it's not resolved, aren't you still covered? Does this fall under "lemon law"?

I have no idea how this works, just asking.

Mac

Old 03-06-2005, 02:33 PM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

DO you have a stock ignition system? I have a power commander III USB on my 2004 Ultra and it used to come on in the same way your did, and after they completed the 1000 mile service, it does not come on any more. The bikes runs fine and when I called Dynojet about it, they told me it was normal for the light to come on as it does not see the engine running. I have not experienced any loss in power as you are describing. Make sure you keep all of the documentation as like the others have said, you might want to seek out another dealer as they might have a technician that has some better electrical experience to help you out.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/494/682BA43E50CA46EC848B5C1372761188.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My suggestion would be stay with the same dealer they now have a history on your repair. Stay on top of it with them providing as much info as you can as to who,what, when and where. Request that they contact HD Tech Support, they document and retain infor to share with dealers, guarantee your not the first.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:35 PM
Donf
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: merlin

My 2004 Ultra Classic has a problem with the check engine light. When I turn on the ignition the check engine light comes on as it's supposed to then goes out. about 10 seconds later, it reappears for about 20 seconds, engine running or not. The dealer has checked this problem twice (2 different dealers) and both times it was coded for cylinders not firing on both cylinders. they reset it - cleared the code once and that lasted about 400 miles. The second time they kept the bike a week and said they couldn't find anything but cleaned and reset every plug in the electrical system. That lasted about 2000 miles. Now it's back again. I have 11 months left on the warranty and I'm not sure they will figure it out.

Any ideas? Now that the light has reappeared at startup, I notice an occasional loss of power, it comes and goes. Like something is trying to go bad. When I explained that to the dealer, he looked at me funny and said they (Harleys) are supposed to vibrate. I then told him that it was more like a dead miss. And the code seemed to agree.
First Post............I happened across this site when getting info on some HogTunes I'm about to purchase.......Anyway I've got an 04 FLHTCI and ran into the exact same problem just after I took delivery and found the answer on my other site. If the bike was built before (I believe) May. of 2004 the ECM calibration is NOT set properly and has to be re-calibrated. The dealer has to go in and re-calibrate it. The dealer has a TSB (below) on the problem and it only applies to 04 models built before May.04...............Hope this helps...............Don

June 7, 2004

2004 Twin Cam Combustion Codes

There have been reports that some production 2004 EFI Twin Cam vehicles
intermittently set codes P1353 and P1356. These vehicles were stock and had no
driveability issues. An investigation determined that the 2004 ECM calibrations may
allow these two codes to be set without any actual combustion problem. Calibration
changes correcting this potential issue went into production vehicles built after May 3,

The revised calibrations are included in the Digital Technician software, version 12,
recently shipped to your dealership.

Although rare, it is possible to encounter either or both of these codes on a stock,
production 2004 Twin Cam vehicle built prior to May. If so, simply download the new
stock calibration using Digital Technician then file a warranty claim for labor in the
normal manner using Job Time Code 7931.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:46 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Great info Donf,

You need to stick around and help the rest of us with our problems.

Terry

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light