Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost of MPG

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 AM
mickael moore
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost of MPG

I've got an 07 ultra, I put tru duals on, SERT,SE air, I went from 40mpg around Kansas to 34mpg. I've got lots of power, but I like mpg also. Should I have the girl re-tuned or is theresomething else that should or could be doneOn the re-tune. Will I need the pay the Dino cost again. What ajustments can be made at the lowest cost. I'm about out of myallowance.

Once A Marine , Always A Marine

Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: lost of MPG

Have you checked the plugs for color? See if it is really running too rich or not. How about right wrist syndrome? Have you been getting on it more since the mods? I have the same situation with my 08 Ultra after the stage-1 upgrades....last weekend I ran another tank of gas through riding real conservative to make sure it wasn't my riding style. Milage is still really low and plugs look like crap, so I'm going to try get mine back on the dyno, will likely be calling the dealership today.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 AM
mickael moore
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a lot of interstate so the cruise is set at 70. I can make black smokeroll from the pipe at any time I twist the wrist hard. She seem to be running very rich to me.

Once A Marine, Always A Marine

Old 04-08-2008, 08:03 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not quite the same set up but I changed to an ANBS, and slipons, with a SERT, both my power and mpg went up. My guess is your running rich. What map are you running or did you get a tuner to set it up on a dyno.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior

When did you have the stage-1 and dyno tune done? I had mine done last fall (October) and the dealership has agreed to re-tune it at no additional cost to me. I would try talk to them and see if they will work with you. Sounds like your's is doing about the same as mine....I was getting mid-40s before the upgrade and very low 30s now....there is no reason a stage-1 upgrade should drop milage that much.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:36 AM
SSJ
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem after I installed a Doherty PowerPacc and Terminal Velocity 11 already had the Supertrapp's the mpg tanked bad, WTF the TV11 should increase mpg from what I've read, ran 4 tanks of gas still bad, I changed plugs Autolite 4164, mpg came right back up to mid 40's.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:16 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

AS SOON AS YOU INSTALLED A FUEL "MANAGEMENT" SYSTEM YOUR MPG PROBLEM STARTED.. ANY FUEL PROGRAM WITH DECREASE YOUR MILEAGE. YOUR MOTOR IS AN "AIR PUMP".. MORE AIR OUT (EXHAUST) MEANS MORE AIR IN. MORE AIR IN MEANS MORE FUEL IN. ITS THAT SIMPLE ! WANT BETTER MILEAGE .. GO BACK TO BONE STOCK!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: NICK56

AS SOON AS YOU INSTALLED A FUEL "MANAGEMENT" SYSTEM YOUR MPG PROBLEM STARTED.. ANY FUEL PROGRAM WITH DECREASE YOUR MILEAGE. YOUR MOTOR IS AN "AIR PUMP".. MORE AIR OUT (EXHAUST) MEANS MORE AIR IN. MORE AIR IN MEANS MORE FUEL IN. ITS THAT SIMPLE ! WANT BETTER MILEAGE .. GO BACK TO BONE STOCK!
That's only true if you are always getting on it real hard. A good fuel management system should actually help you get better (or at least reasonably good) milage when you are cruising at low RPMs like in 6th gear at 75 on the interstate. Its really just a matter of getting it tuned right.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: SSJ

I had the same problem after I installed a Doherty PowerPacc and Terminal Velocity 11 already had the Supertrapp's the mpg tanked bad, WTF the TV11 should increase mpg from what I've read, ran 4 tanks of gas still bad, I changed plugs Autolite 4164, mpg came right back up to mid 40's.
I find this very interesting. So your mileage went back up significantly just swapping plugs? Is the Autolite 4164 the plug for all the TC88's?

Has anyone else seen this happen (swapping plugs and seeing an increase in MPG's)?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:45 AM
SSJ
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Arizona

I find this very interesting. So your mileage went back up significantly just swapping plugs? Is the Autolite 4164 the plug for all the TC88's?

Has anyone else seen this happen (swapping plugs and seeing an increase in MPG's?
Yep after checking several times that everything was connected right and tight, finally changed the plugs and mpg went right up, the old plugs didn't look too bad other than showing it was running lean. The Autolight 4164 is good for all the TC88 and 96's. Real happy now with performance and mpg the pipes have a real nice charcoal gray coating now instead of black. Worked for me

Quick Reply: lost of MPG