Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Click? won't start ****ITS ALIVE****

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:57 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,246 Likes on 1,852 Posts
Default Click? won't start ****ITS ALIVE****

Rode it home today after work and parked it outside. Went to pull it in garage this eve and nothing....just "click" when I hit the start button. I traced the click noise to the starter relay in the fusebox. Pulled the relay and swapped it out with the system relay and still the same click. Checked and tightened the grounds and cables. Checked the codes, none. Thoughts?

EDIT: Even though all connections were tight and double checked for tightness, I took everything apart and then rehooked it all up and viola! fired right up. Was in a hurry this a.m. prior to running daughter to school and started out the wrong way....attempted taking apart the starter connection before unhooking the battery...DOH! after the spark show I damn near welded my wrench to the rear cylinder[]

Old 04-07-2008, 05:59 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Click? won't start

Battery shorted a cell?

EDIT: Thought of a quick test - look at the headlight and see if it goes VERY dim when trying to start.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:02 PM
2003flhtci
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's happened to me on a couple of different bikes...always turned out replacing the battery fixed it.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:08 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disconnect the battery or pull the main fuse, then check the starter connection. Clean the terminals, reconnect, and check voltage. If 12 volts or more, it SHOULD try ta start....

Old 04-07-2008, 06:08 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Dawg....Is it just the relay clicking, or is it also energizing the starter solenoid? Better get the Multimeter out and check your voltage and see what it drops to when you hit the start button.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:09 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Battery or cable connection.

Check connections @ battery, starter, and ground block between seat & tank.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:11 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, that's what I'm thinking.Shouldn't be impurities building up in the bottom this soon but could be a random weak plate in hisbatt just broke off and shorted that cell. Kaput.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:14 PM
gene01
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn, my battery on my 08 went out this weekend.... will be going to the dealer tomorrow, had to think about how to get to work this am, realized I still have 3 other cars.... beautiful weather and I am in a cage... what a shame...

Old 04-07-2008, 06:15 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Take it in to the local HD dealer and have one of the HD certified techs take a look at it. Those guys know what they are doing.[sm=biker.gif]

This could also be a classic case of over "MOD"-ification. I hear that is is incurable[:-]

Old 04-07-2008, 06:18 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,246 Likes on 1,852 Posts

It's just the starter relay that I hear make the click noise. I checked all the cables and connections for tighteness. The headlight doesn't dim when trying to start.....just that one click and that's it. Heading out to garage now and have another look see. Fighting with that convaluted pile of **** that the MOCO put under the seat of the 08's to get to the battery I just had to walk away from it if ya know what I mean

Quick Reply: Click? won't start ****ITS ALIVE****