Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Handle bars for Electra Glide Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 12:59 AM
oldschool
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default What Handle bars for Electra Glide Classic?

I have had my Classic since May 2003. I hate the stock handle bars. I have look in many catalogs for handle bar. I can't seem to find alot of variety for the dresser. That fairing requires I believe 14-15 inches in the center. I could be wrong. Maybe any of you dresser people could direct me in the right direction on this. Where did you get your non-stock bars? Thanks for the help....Ed

Old 03-06-2005, 11:59 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: What Handle bars for Electra Glide Classic?

A good replacement bar for the EG Classic is the factory 2" pullback for that model. The bars are not pricey, but replacement is. They require the replacing of the throttle cables, clutch cable, and brake line.

Before doing any replacement, make sure that the bars are in the right position. My EG had the bars set too high from the dealer, and they caused my wrists to hurt, and pain between my sholder blades. I lowered the bars about 1 1/2", and they seem to be good now. Haven't taken a trip over 200 miles yet, so I'm not sure, but 200 miles was okay.

If you do lower the bars, make sure that the throttle cables don't hit the top of the tank when you turn sharp to the right.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-06-2005, 12:34 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Currently, my bike ('05 EG) is in pieces in the garage. I ordered the Wild 1 Chubbies W0575 for it, they are the ones made for the EG series. I started the project yesterday morning and went to a wedding yesterday afternoon, leaving me in no shape to finish the job.

Anyway, I've read an been told that these are the answer, check out their website. I'll post back to the Aftermarket section when done.

As for the complexity of the job, it really isn't that hard, though I'm not quite to the part where I put on the new ones...they have internal wiring so I'll be doing a little soldering later today as well.

Mac

Later...

I finished putting on the bars...and what a difference. They are a little wider and they have a better feel. Of course, I was able to position them the way I wanted them as well. For me, I closed my eyes held out my hands and my neighbor rotated them until they hit my hands.

Internal wiring was not too bad, though it did take a little time. All is back together and it looks pretty decent, and it didn't change the lines of the bike. I will post pics tomorrow. I'm trying to compose a DIY thread for the DIY section.

Mac

Old 03-09-2005, 12:59 AM
oldschool
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Looking foward to see the pics....Thx..Ed

Old 03-09-2005, 10:42 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out the Aftermarket forum I posted my thoughts and experiences there...still working the DIY thread, but work is killing me.

Mac