Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Mileage with a 124" Hotrod Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Gas Mileage with a 124" Hotrod Bagger

Did some tuning last weekend and then went on an "economy" run for 100 miles. Even on the new engine, got 42mpg so I know there is more to be had once tuning is complete. These big engines breath so well and the cylinders fill so well that economy is a side benefit of the performance.

Rod, your problem may be that you haven't learned there are other throttle positions other than WOT

Old 04-10-2008, 12:36 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dalton

Did some tuning last weekend and then went on an "economy" run for 100 miles. Even on the new engine, got 42mpg so I know there is more to be had once tuning is complete. These big engines breath so well and the cylinders fill so well that economy is a side benefit of the performance.

Rod, your problem may be that you haven't learned there are other throttle positions other than WOT

ohhh i know what less then wot is..... all i can say is 600cc'd crotch rocket was confused looking at my tail lights....lol

Old 04-10-2008, 02:39 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a couple of questions for you Glideman.
Are you using Imperial gallons and converting it over to US gallons for our Southern neighbours to make comparisons, or are your numbers left in Imperial? That can make quite a diff, right?

If you're getting 37-ish on an Imp. gal that's roughly 30ish miles per USG.
If you're getting 37-ish mpg on a US gallon then that's close to 46 per Imp. gallon which in my books starts looking pretty good.
When my RK was stock I was seeing about 55 mpg (Imp) at highway speeds. (approx 44 miles per US gal.)

Just speculating from your cost per mile and about what I think your Alberta gas prices are, I'm guessing you have converted it over to US gallons. Not bad numbers, IMO.

CN

Old 04-10-2008, 05:10 AM
SpikeCT
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is to funny....
Rod, call me.... Lets get together and I'll help you out... I just adjusted a friends with a stock engine running the DTT and he went from low 30 to 37 (city) and I know I can get more out. As for your build I have been talking to Kevin at HQ about somethings that I was going to do to my bike. After our discussions I have a good plan to adjust it... You can be my tester as I'm still waiting for my bike to come back from repairs and I'll be down for a bit to have my ACL repaired.