Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Define Wallow....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Bluerose
Default Define Wallow....

I was riding my Ultra about 80 mphon a long down hill sweep (freeway) that is fairly steep...I ride this section of road daily when I commute. The whole bike moved (wobbled) rhythmically down the hill. I have seen several bikes do this (one chopper really bad).

Is this the "Wallow" everyone speaks about?

Or could it be defined as: When I first started riding the bike I felt like the back tire sort of floated once or twice. This was on a straight away with rain "grooves".

Now beforeyou get started I just want to say that I check tire pressure religiously.I have seen several bikes do the same thing down that hill....that was the first time it was a pretty good wobble for me doing about 80...I usually hitthat down hill between 70 and 75.

I at no time thought I would lose controland backing off relieved it. It was nota "front end" wobble or tank slapper.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Puggy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Define Wallow....

Basically, that sounds like a wallow. Probably caused by the stock Dunflops tracking the rain grooves (they are infamous for that). I've experienced the same thing on a flat straight road with the grooves. It got worse the faster I went.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

That sounds pretty close.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I have felt it front and back at the same time going straight at around 65-70mph, concrete road, no rain grooves. What started it was a crosswind. I was actually going over a bridge. Felt like I was going down, I just kept a steady throttle and rode it out.
Thankfully it hasn't happened since I installed a TXR stabilizer.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

I described it like the bike having a hing in the middle of it and the the whole frame bent around that hinge point. Just a bit unsettling but nothing to make me panic. My old Gold Wing had the same type of feeling before all new suspension and super brace. I don't feel the need at this point to make any upgrades or changes. I think what you described is the dreaded HD wobble!

Neil
RDMC

Old 04-07-2008, 03:08 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Streetrunner

I have felt it front and back at the same time going straight at around 65-70mph, concrete road, no rain grooves. What started it was a crosswind. I was actually going over a bridge. Felt like I was going down, I just kept a steady throttle and rode it out.
Streetrunner, with the TXR stabilizer installed, how does the TXR stabilizer effect the changing of the filter?

Old 04-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Bluerose

So is that 80 mph "wallow/wobble" what True Trac is supposed to correct?

Old 04-07-2008, 03:36 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,221 Likes on 1,838 Posts

ORIGINAL: Neil
My old Gold Wing........
Neil
RDMC
A Road Dawg with a Gold Wing???? Guess I shouldn't poke fun, we have one winger in the VT chapter.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:57 PM
cwilks
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RoadKing_Al

ORIGINAL: Streetrunner

Streetrunner, with the TXR stabilizer installed, how does the TXR stabilizer effect the changing of the filter?

What filter??? Its nowhere near the oil filter....in fact its at the other end of the motor/tranny

Old 04-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Gviertell
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experienced that some. But usually on a turn-especially on a rough road. I ride 2-up most of the time. The true track helps a bunch. I had it on my Road King and switched to my Ultra as soon as I got it home. We have a lot of mountain roads with rough pavement. It also helped with what you are describing also. Rather pricey-but easy to put on and well worth it in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Define Wallow....