Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High speed deceleration Backfire

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:51 AM
chiefparry
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High speed deceleration Backfire

When I first put on the V&H slip-ons and replaced with a high-flow AC I had the bike “re-mapped” (I think that is what’s it’s called. It was put on the dealer’s computer and tweaked). It has run great for nearly 10,000 miles; but now it has started to backfire at high speed deceleration. I thought once remapped that would be that. Does mapping change with time and miles? What could be the cause?
Now I’m pretty sure what you all will say, “Get a SERT, PCIII, Flowmo”, some sort of fuel management system. OK after ready this forum for months I get it, but I’m not all that sure which the best one for me is. I do not plan on mechanically modifying my bike any further, and basically I’m looking for a user friendly, plug and play kind of system. Should I just get it re-mapped again and save on the fuel management system? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 AM
zoomie67
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: High speed deceleration Backfire

The Decl popping usually starts immediately after a retune (remap)not 10k later. Brefore doing anything I wound check the plugs to see if you are running lean. If not, check the nuts to see if they are loose. Decel pop is caused by 1 of three things, intake leak, exhaust leak, or lean condition usually at 0 throttle. With it starting 10k into the tune my bets on intake or exhaust leak.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:40 AM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: High speed deceleration Backfire

ORIGINAL: zoomie67

The Decl popping usually starts immediately after a retune (remap)not 10k later. Brefore doing anything I wound check the plugs to see if you are running lean. If not, check the nuts to see if they are loose. Decel pop is caused by 1 of three things, intake leak, exhaust leak, or lean condition usually at 0 throttle. With it starting 10k into the tune my bets on intake or exhaust leak.
I'll second that.........Are your slip-ons staring to discolor? Another sign for exhaust sucking in out side air or engine running lean.