Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trick to get oil filter off

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:09 PM
rfp1954
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trick to get oil filter off

Went to the dealer to get o'rings and gaskets to do an oil change on all three fliuds on my bike (02 EG). I also have a Harley manual. Got it warmed up and started.No problem with the engine oil drain plug. Thougth I would use one of the many oil filter wrenches I have in my garage. Could not get one to work. Felt embarassed that I could not get this filter off. So I refered to my manual. Says I need a Harley oil filter wrench HD-42311. There got to be another way to get it off. Would appreciate any suggestions.
Also, dealer sold me 2 rubbero'rings. None of my plugs for draining any type of oil has rubber o'rings. Does the dealer know whathe is doing?

Old 04-06-2008, 11:17 PM
BruinsFLHRS
Cruiser
Default RE: Trick to get oil filter off

yeah, buy the biggest pair of channel locks you can find, works every time. if you dont have any, use the good ol' "pound a screwdriver through the filter and turn it" method.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:23 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

For Christ's sake . . . don't do that.

Buy a strap wrench and use it. Simple.

Replace the filter with a K&N which has a nut on the end. Makes future oil changes simple.

You may also find the exact filter wrench that HD sells at your local parts store. It's a simple cup type wrench that fits over the end of the filter.

If you drive a screw driver through the filter, you deserve whatever happens. It may work but it's the caveman method in my opinion.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:40 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a cup for the filter on my UC at advance auto parts for $3 bucks or so. I tried a strap to put one on but it's a pain to use.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:41 PM
cgonzgo
Tourer

I took one of my old band type filters and cut it from 3/4 to about 3/8 wide about half way around to make it fit by the regulator. Works great......Get something to go under the filter so you don't leak all over the motor mount (I use a thin piece of plywood).

Old 04-06-2008, 11:42 PM
BruinsFLHRS
Cruiser

"caveman method"!!?? dont let the guys at geiko hear that... their still holding a grudge... lol

Old 04-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Twisted Humor
Road Master

I have never used this tool on the bike, but it works very well on my truck. Should work on the bike fine.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kd3149.html

Old 04-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Roadhog02
Cruiser

I picked this one up at NAPA for $11.50

Old 04-06-2008, 11:57 PM
HEMSPLT
Cruiser

If I was in a bind I might try the screw driver method on my car but would not even consider doing it on one of my bikes. Sifularson is right, use a strap wrench. I bought an overpriced billet aluminum oil filter socket at the dealer a long time ago. It has a slot cut out for the crankshaft position sensor but you still have to pay attention to what you are doing. It hasn't failed me yet.

Another point - You really don't have to go very tight with an oil filter. It doesn't hold back very much pressure but a lot of people tighten them as if they are holding back 3,000 psi of hydraulic pressure. Just put it on moderately hand tight.

My '02 Ultra Classic has an O-ring on the oil drain plug and on the transmission plug. I would assume yours would be the same. I replace the O-rings with every oil change. In my experience they get compressed and you shouldn't reuse them.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:59 PM
reeac
Tourer

I had to get one myself but I bought a different one that the dealer carries.

Quick Reply: Trick to get oil filter off