Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*&^*$#% Ignition Lock Broke!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:42 PM
BurnedOutGeek
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *&^*$#% Ignition Lock Broke!

Maybe someone can help me out here. Today, I went for a nice ride on my '07 Ultra and noticed on 2 occasions that my ignition "puck" seems to be popping out. After I get the bike back to my garage, I pushed the puck back in and it locked in the down position. With or without the key, it will not spring back up. To make matters even worse, it is now in the locked position (even though my forks are not locked) and I cant even turn it to On so I can get it to the stealership. Something is just jammed down in the mechanism.

After digging through the service manual and searching the posts online about how to remove the part, I tried that for quite a while to no avail.

Anybody else ever had this problem? At this point, it looks as if my only option is to get it towed into the stealer tomorrow for them to look at it.

Thanks everyone. If nothing else, the venting helped.

Mark

Old 04-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Rodman813
Road Captain
Default RE: *&^*$#% Ignition Lock Broke!

haven't had that problem, BUT I recalla seeing something about a H-D recall/"service bulletin" on ignition switches. At least my 06 did. Maybe you should check on that. At least get it done free

Old 04-06-2008, 08:53 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Have you tried pushing in the tab on the bottom

Old 04-06-2008, 08:57 PM
BurnedOutGeek
Novice

Unfortuntely, yes. Did it for at least an hour with no luck. At first the button would push in, but now, it seems as if that is jammed too. It's just a bizarre situation all the way around. I was pulling my hair out, so I finally just had to step away. Called HOG to make sure that they would be able to tow it tomorrow if necessary.

Mark

ORIGINAL: dawg

Have you tried pushing in the tab on the bottom

Old 04-06-2008, 09:19 PM
courterbag
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 04-06-2008, 10:10 PM
winham79
Cruiser

I had a simularproblem with my 06. The pin on the botton of the lock assembly broke off. This caused the head to lock completely, unable to unlock it. Had the bike down for 4 days (Holiday WeekEnd) before they picked it up and repaired it. There was a recall on the locking assembly for my '06' don't know if this is your problem, but you will want to have it looked at.It could become a dangerous situation if you are riding it .

William[:'(]

Old 04-06-2008, 10:12 PM
BurnedOutGeek
Novice

Yeah. No doubt at all that the problem will get addressed tomorrow. I just considered myself extremely lucky to have gotten it to my garage before it locked! With my luck, I could have been stranded in some parking lot somewhere.

Mark

ORIGINAL: winham79

I had a simular problem with my 06. The pin on the botton of the lock assembly broke off. This caused the head to lock completely, unable to unlock it. Had the bike down for 4 days (Holiday WeekEnd) before they picked it up and repaired it. There was a recall on the locking assembly for my '06' don't know if this is your problem, but you will want to have it looked at. It could become a dangerous situation if you are riding it .

William [:'(]

Old 04-06-2008, 10:16 PM
fireglider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry about your misfortune. Shouldn't your 07 still be under warranty? I know that doesn't get your bike to the dealer though.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:18 PM
BurnedOutGeek
Novice

Yep. She's still under warranty and my HOG membership will take care of the towing. Im more concerned with the tow truck drivers ability to get her there in one piece without damaging a brand new paint job!

Mark

ORIGINAL: fireglider

Sorry about your misfortune. Shouldn't your 07 still be under warranty? I know that doesn't get your bike to the dealer though.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:35 PM
izzi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe dawg will know, but it seems that it will only malfunction with the switch turned full left position. i dont think the pin can drop with the switch at 12 o clock let alone in the ign. or acc. position. but hey ..... i've been wrong before.

Quick Reply: *&^*$#% Ignition Lock Broke!