Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New slip on's are on

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:41 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New slip on's are on

Did you install a fuel management system (IE: SERT, PCIII, etc) and upgrade to a larger intake?

Old 04-07-2008, 06:54 PM
mysticwolf
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hoosierhog88

Did you install a fuel management system (IE: SERT, PCIII, etc) and upgrade to a larger intake?
No I have not yet. I wanted to see how she ran without, seems to be just fine, but I am thinking on a new air filter, and V&H fuel pack, I just haven't decided on which air filter yet.Is the Arlin Nessa big sucker washable?

Old 04-07-2008, 07:21 PM
xcelr8
Road Master

ORIGINAL: mysticwolf

No I have not yet. I wanted to see how she ran without, seems to be just fine, but I am thinking on a new air filter, and V&H fuel pack, I just haven't decided on which air filter yet.Is the Arlin Nessa big sucker washable?
the bike will run fine w/o the larger air intake, or any ECM mods. The only benefit to doing this is a louder exhaust sound. If you want to get some more power, the SE a/c (washable) along with the SE ECM download is an easy upgrade that requires zero brains to install. This Stage 1 setup is good if you do not plan on any further engine mods. If you are planing on further mods, the SERT is the way to go, but it's pricey, and requires a lot of skill and a dyno to dial it in.

A word about the Harley fllter...........the gasket sucks. Instead of washing it at 20,000 miles, replace it with the K&N, which only needs servicing every 50,000 mles.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:45 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member

V&H Ovals, IMHO best slip ons out there.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:01 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got done putting on my new vance and hines slip on's on And man am I happy, I love the sound, getting ready to take her for a long ride
Did you get any poping or backfiring through the intake on decel?

Old 04-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Trey Hogger
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Thunderchild

did you put them on yourself....and if so, how hard was it.
I'm thinking bout getting some too.
Yes I did it myself, it was a piece of cake, only took about an hour. 3 bolts, wiggle the old muffler and pull, slide right off. I used the old clamps instead of the new ones. The stock ones looked like they would hold up better. Oh, bty I just got home from my ride after putting them on,( 130 miles) I love um. They sound great going down the road, and I can still hear the radio I'll get pics as soon as my daughter brings home my camera.
I installed Vance & Hines slip-on slash downs a couple weeks back and used the supplied clamps. They're lousy, just mis-shaped and never really got tight enough, even at the specified torque. The pipes kept slipping back about a half inch on each side. I put the original harley clamps on, but even though fairly new, stretched out of shape and let the pipes slip. I just did the whole job again Saturday, with new HD clamps. NOW, no problem. Pretty cool to do a 45 minute mod THREE times. (o: By the way, pipes look great, and with the SE AC and remap, the Ultra runs and sounds awesome.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:48 AM
xcelr8
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Trey Hogger

ORIGINAL: Thunderchild

did you put them on yourself....and if so, how hard was it.
I'm thinking bout getting some too.
Yes I did it myself, it was a piece of cake, only took about an hour. 3 bolts, wiggle the old muffler and pull, slide right off. I used the old clamps instead of the new ones. The stock ones looked like they would hold up better. Oh, bty I just got home from my ride after putting them on,( 130 miles)I love um. They sound great going down the road, and I can still hear the radioI'll get pics as soon as my daughter brings home my camera.
By the way, pipes look great, and with the SE AC and remap, the Ultra runs and sounds awesome.
+1

I'm always amazed at all of the riders who are always searching for the "magic bullet", when the HD Stage 1 kit works so well.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:58 AM
rsofa
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: xcelr8

the bike will run fine w/o the larger air intake, or any ECM mods. The only benefit to doing this is a louder exhaust sound. If you want to get some more power, the SE a/c (washable) along with the SE ECM download is an easy upgrade that requires zero brains to install. This Stage 1 setup is good if you do not plan on any further engine mods. If you are planing on further mods, the SERT is the way to go, but it's pricey, and requires a lot of skill and a dyno to dial it in.

A word about the Harley fllter...........the gasket sucks. Instead of washing it at 20,000 miles, replace it with the K&N, which only needs servicing every 50,000 mles.
I have been going round and round about this very decision Fuel managment or Download I hear all the download does is up
the rev limiter if so what good is it as far as the lean running when installing the pipes and AC????

Old 04-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Gart
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rsofa

ORIGINAL: xcelr8

I have been going round and round about this very decision Fuel managment or Download I hear all the download does is up
the rev limiter if so what good is it as far as the lean running when installing the pipes and AC????
rsofa,

I am not sure if I am 100% correct on this: The download does allow it to rev higher. It also keeps the same air to fuel ratio. However, by installing the Stage1 air cleaner (or whatever brand you choose), you change the amount of air that can enter the engine. By doing so, the ECM has to put more fuel into the airstream to keep the ratio at the correct percentage. If you didn't do the download, you would get into a leaner mixture and since right now it is on the very edge, which would cause serious engine damage.

Gart

Old 04-08-2008, 04:19 PM
xcelr8
Road Master

[/quote]
[/quote]

Nobody knows your bike better than the boys back in Milwaukee! I know there are 1001 backyard engineers who will disagree with me, but the Harley ECM download not only changes the rev limiter, but also reprograms the ECM correctly. There is much more to it than "I got 2 more HP with my PCIII" There are, among other things, fuel consumption, engine life, cooler running, correct fuel/air mixture during warm-up, and probably lots more. I'm no hero......I'm have always gone with the factory boys, w/o any disappointments.

BTW........the new SE slip-ons+the SE a/c+the download are perfectly matched to each other. The SE slip-ons are fairly quiet when new, but they develop a beautiful mellow sound that is unrivaled after about 2,000 miles. It doesn't happen all at once, but it just gets better and better as you ride.

Quick Reply: New slip on's are on