Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stoplamp Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Bluerose
Default Stoplamp Switch

Well we have one glitch with the Handlebar replacement. Hubby didn't read in advance and seems to have knocked the Stoplamp switch loose (the switch that turns on your brakelights when you pull the front brake).

The problem is the lights work untilyou start the bike then the "rumble" vibrates it and the brakelights come on andstay on. This also affects my cruise control.

So the question is how to remedy this.The switch seems to work but is loose. Can anyone tell me if its cemented in or if maybe we lost a clip? I don't see a clip in the book (204 of the parts catalog #14). Need to get this remedied.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:08 PM
streeter
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Stoplamp Switch

Yes, there is a brass or copper V shaped wedge that fits between the switch and the housing (07). Also check and make sure the the small tip of the switch didn't get broken during your bar swap. Good luck

Old 04-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Bluerose

Thanks.... for the info.

He's gonna pull it back apart and take another look but he says he checked the tip when he realized what he did and that is fine. Probably the wedge is missing, broken, or You can't tell its loose until you start the bike so it got missed...[&:]

Old 04-06-2008, 01:55 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I did my chrome switch covers I put a small bit of clear silicone on the copper V-shim so it would stay in place once I got it where it had to be. Try that when you find out where it went.

CN

Old 04-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Bluerose

All fixed... the little V wedge got squwish some how. just widened out and put it back.

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got it fixed. Your post enlightened me to information I did not find in my service manual, in fact the V wedge you are talking about doesn't appear in the exploded view in the parts catolog that I could find either.

I aplogize and am not trying to hijack your thread. I found here more information I was not aware of. My interest is in changing out the stock aluminum brake & clutch levers for black powder coated levers. I couldn't find anything on just swapping out the levers. Can anybody here tell me if its as simple as removing the retaining ring, pulling the pivot pin and reassembling it? Or will I have to disassemble and remove the switch housing? I'm okay with the clutch lever side, its this brake switch on the right I'm hoping for more information on.

Arvid