Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Cruise Control BROKEN!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008 | 08:53 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Default RE: 08 Cruise Control BROKEN!!!!!

There is a switch on the clutch also. It drops the cruise off if you pull the clutch lever. But I say just let the dealer fix it.

Old 04-05-2008 | 09:05 PM
Thunderchild
Cruiser

if its under warrenty....dont "f" with it.
let the dealer take care of it.

Old 04-06-2008 | 12:34 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior

I thought the IDS was supposed to fix the Cruise Control problem
Quite a few seem to be having problems with it. I hope I'm not next.[:-]

Old 04-06-2008 | 05:13 AM
troutbum1971
Banned

Hell, I had a premium seat that did not work, so i took it back and in order for the warranty to stay valid, the dealer had to plug it in..........(that was funny to me) but when i got the bike back, my trouble light came on......turned around...... dealer said it was the cruise control...... so he reset it........got half way home and it came on again.....
so i try cruise, no worky again..... but when i hit set the green dash light lights up....... just does not hold speed......

all from a seat????????? the dealer here in Berlin has to call HD in the states to find out WTF is wrong......I won't know until Tues...

Old 04-06-2008 | 08:00 AM
choochoo
Banned

My point is why ask where the fuses are.
You got a service manual you said, that will tell you.
plus in the time it took you to come here and ask, you could've
walked out to the bike and pulled the cover.
Plus I didn't see anyone answer your question in the posts above.
Now unless HD changed it they are under the left side cover.
Left being as you are sitting on the bike facing the handlebars.
That is unless HD also changed the location of the handlebars from previous
years and models.
Your ECM should be under right cover and if you have ABS the abs solenoids are there
too. The ABS ECM is under the seat. Thisis info gathered from here, so I trust it is accurate.
And since it is beand new under warranty you shouldn't mess with it.
Even though I am a mechanic, I don't mess with my stuff when it's under warranty, I let
the dealers do it, that's what they get paid for.
ORIGINAL: daharleyrdr

Damn ChooChoo Its not that Im helpless its just that not everyone is a doctor like you! Some of us do not like to mess with something If we feel it is beyond our capabilities! I wont mess with something If I feel that I could make the sitauation worse than it was before I stared and Like some have said its still under warranty!Harleys as the models get newer, like the carsbecome sophisticated and unless your very mechanically inclined and do that kind of work on a regular basis and have the right tools then it is best left to the experts like yourself! Whats with the name "Choo Choo"? Bill

Old 04-06-2008 | 08:12 AM
choochoo
Banned

Choo Choo is my riding name.
Riding to work one morning a few (quite a few) years back, I was riding into the sun.
Got blinded by the sun glaring off the windshield.
Couldn't see the arms down on the RR crossing. Saw the train sitting still about a mile down
the track though as I knew the crossing was there.
Lights on arm were not lit either.
Tried to stop but started sliding on loose gravel on the pavment (big gravel truck / tanker
company driveway is right before the crossing).
Well I didn't want to hit the guard sideways, or drop a wheel sideways into the gap of tracks
and pavement, that would be a HARD landing at 50mph.
So let up off brake, straightened out, hit brakes again still slid, but did get speed down
to about 25mph.
Was on a Road King at the time. Laid down on the tank and hit the arm.
Was doing fine until... a piece of the arm still connected to the main pole by way of the electric
light wires tangled around the front axle.
well the wire didn't give and about 50 feet after the hit, sucked me down like calf being
roped by a cowboy.
So guys started calling me Choo Choo you know like the train?

Damn ChooChoo Its not that Im helpless its just that not everyone is a doctor like you! Some of us do not like to mess with something If we feel it is beyond our capabilities! I wont mess with something If I feel that I could make the sitauation worse than it was before I stared and Like some have said its still under warranty!Harleys as the models get newer, like the carsbecome sophisticated and unless your very mechanically inclined and do that kind of work on a regular basis and have the right tools then it is best left to the experts like yourself! Whats with the name "Choo Choo"? Bill

Old 04-06-2008 | 08:15 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: choochoo

aahhhhhh! or aawww however it is spelled
Come on get real if you're this damn helpless sell it and go back to driving a cage where you belong!!

The damn bike is under warranty let the stealer fix it!
did the cruise actually quit working while you were riding it in cruise mode,
or did the light just not come on!
It might be broke but it could be a light bulb.
Guess the dealer is as clueless as you, but that is to be expected from most new techs
today at a stealer. They learned to read a book, but have no clue how any single system
on a motorcycle actually works. They are glorified parts changers for the most part.
and if you can't figure out where the fuse box is, by just pulling the side covers and looking
you are totally helpless.
guess you missed the part where he said:

the service tech did get the speedo to go into the diagnostic mode when both dials swepp and all the idiot lights go on the cruise light did light up then only when in that mode
so that rules out the bulb (actually led)

and:

It was really the Sales Manager.....
maybe the service techs were all really busy and didn't have time to look at it so the sales guy was trying to help out.

about the only thing you got right was to let them fix it under warranty. otherwise, nice post, way to help a brother out. not everyone can be as mechanically astute as you obviously are, thats no reason to tell him to sell the bike and stick with a cage.

ORIGINAL: choochoo

Riding to work one morning a few (quite a few) years back, I was riding into the sun.
Got blinded by the sun glaring off the windshield.
Couldn't see the arms down on the RR crossing. Saw the train sitting still about a mile down
the track though as I knew the crossing was there. -SNIP-
what? and you didn't try to sue hd for that? i'm sure you can think of some reason why its their fault... maybe it was the ambient air temp guage. oh wait, you said road king, that doesn't have one.

Old 04-06-2008 | 08:31 AM
gdonaharley
Intermediate

Bottom line. If the dealer is working with you. Don't sweat the small stuff. Nothing, and I mean nothing is perfect. New stuff breaks and does not work and it is not fault of anyone. Just got a little unlucky. I drive GM vehicles almost exclusively. I buy new about every 2 years. I took delivery of a new vehicle March 29th and the vehicle has been back to shop 4 times. Small stuff, but it is the first time this has ever happened to me with a GM vehicle I bought new. The dealer is doing best he can and that's all I ask. There are far more important things in this world to be dismayed over than a failed Cruise Control under warranty. I know it is disappointing, but you will be up and running soon and this will be a distant memory.

Old 04-06-2008 | 08:33 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

I was running with my cruise contorl on and tapped the rear break to shut if off because a car was slowing in front of me. It didn't go off so I grabbed the front brake and clutch and it shut down. It was the wire going to the brake switch was broken right at the switch. Does the brake light come on when you use the front and rear brake? Just wanted to make sure you checked the lights while you were waiting to get it fixed. Everytime I read a post of Choo Choo telling someone how stupid they are I have to go back to the thread where he shoots the mattress in his motel room to scare someone off at the door And he's calling other people stupid

Old 04-06-2008 | 08:38 AM
MustBBrent
Road Captain

[sm=popcorn.gif]

Quick Reply: 08 Cruise Control BROKEN!!!!!