Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers coming off MSRP??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 07:35 AM
RD GLD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dealers coming off MSRP??

ORIGINAL: Shoe
ORIGINAL: wbogley
I talked to the sales manager about sales. He said they were having a record month because of gas prices. I had to pay MSRP, but they waived all other fees.
i still love that argument.....But if someone is dumb enough to believe it, then all the power to the dealers. Think about it:

Typical HD Bagger is $20,000.
Gas is currently $3.20 a gallon (approx for regular)
$20,000/$3.20 is 6,250 gallons of gas.

Your typical car get about 25 miles per gallon
6,250 x 25 = 156,250 miles of driving for the price of one HD Bagger.

I wish people (not you wbogley) weren't so friggin ignorant to think that by buying a $20,000 motorcycle they are somehow saving money on gas.

Its just plain stupid.
Dave
Chill man, that's the excuse to give the wife!!!!!!!

Old 04-05-2008, 08:06 AM
FLHX08
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Locally here in Michigan they jack the prices up on HD's. I go 120 miles into Ohio to buy in a small town to a small HD dealer. always MSRP and has free freight, set up and no hidden charges. I tried seeing if I could get a better price locally even when they told me they sell at MSRP they couldn't beat the price I get out of state. One salesman even said No that's not an out the door price, then said your getting a very good deal there.
new Street Glide in May from http://www.benbreecehd.com/ always MSRP with free freight, set up and no hidden charges.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:24 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

first there have not been any REAL new must have improvements in motorcycles
in the lastfew years.
6 speed, so much wind and hills and mountains here I would still spend most
of my time in 5th. So is better to have a tranny geared as 5th top end anyway.
Bike has plenty power to pull me in 5th, but doubt same is true for 6th here.
other than they jumped to a 96 vs 88. But that was primarily to evade the new
EPA rules for emissions for that model year.
TBW ---Cables have worked fine for over a hundred years and gives ME the operator
control over the throttle.
For the cost of a new bike MSRP or under I could completely refurbish my 06 and
have money left over.
If more people here would consider a wintertime complete makeover (engine, paint,
tires, upholstery etc) they would have a much smaller loan and payments and less
time to repay and less miles on the road to recoup their expenses in fuel savings.

But if you're buying a new bike to save on fuel and taking a loan out to do it, you're
not saving anything monthly during the term of the loan.
If your car is paid off, all you figure is the wear and tear and the cost of fuel.
But on the bike you need to pay the loan,; you got wear and tear, fuel, and cost of loan
each month. which will most likely be more money per month in expenses than just driving
the car.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:34 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I talked to the sales manager about sales. He said they were having a record month because of gas prices. I had to pay MSRP, but they waived all other fees.
i still love that argument.....But if someone is dumb enough to believe it, then all the power to the dealers. Think about it:

I wish people (not you wbogley) weren't so friggin ignorant to think that by buying a $20,000 motorcycle they are somehow saving money on gas.

Its just plain stupid.

Dave

I hear what you guys are saying, but my SUV gets 15 mpg. The street glide is getting 42 mpg. Guess which one I am taking to work and riding 7 days a weekall summer long.....?

+1 on that. I'm on the same page there. Work is 100 miles round trip. I know what I'm taking to work

Old 04-05-2008, 09:37 AM
shovelheadred
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: RD GLD

Its just plain stupid.
Dave
Chill man, that's the excuse to give the wife!!!!!!!
+1!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:46 AM
IamZardoz
Tourer

In my experience over the yearsthere is usually different pricing policies between dealers. I remember in Hawaii the main dealer in Honolulu used to screw folks all the time with aMSRP only policy and there was this small dealership in Kaneohe where the dealer would sell Harleys waaay lower than that and it used to **** off the big dealer, they would always bad-mouth the smaller dealer.Anyway, shop around is the best bet.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Hog Heaven
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not coming off MSRP anywhere within 200 miles of where I live. I did manage to get the local dealer to match $1000 of accessories at the time of sale, but around here (Pacific Northwest)we still pay MSRP plus freight and setup in most cases.

Plus, I couldn't agree more with what you said. I probably could have saved another $1000 somewhere dealing with someone I've never seen face to face and then trust that same person to have my bike shipped for $600 by someone else I've never seen before either. Sorry, not worth it to me. Get the best price you can and ride man.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:55 AM
hdgunner77
Intermediate

Remember back as late as 2000 you walked into a dealer to get a new bike and they told you had to be put on a waiting list for up to 18 months and sometimes charged you up to $5000 over MSRP and also in most areas there were fewer Harley dealers. Now days Harley is a victim of their own success, today's bikes are made better than the 1970s and 80s so they last a lifetime and over production for 2003 helped out the average guy. Today you want into an averagedealer, there is proably at 30 new bikes sitting in there and some still have 07s. Now the customer has the power, do not be afraid to use, you can always walk out, pit two dealers against one another. This is a prime Rocky Mount HD, has 2007 Dyna screaming EAGLE FOR SALE FOR $22,000, A YEAR AGO WHEN THEY FIRST GOOT THIS BIKE IT HAD A 28,000 msrp PRICE. dO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING THE SALESMAN OR TV TELLS YOU.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:29 AM
wild hog
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Lots of good points posted. Many things go into a "good deal" IMO. I paid msrp out the door on my 08 street glide, but things like the way I was treated and how much they gave me for my trade etc. played a big role in where I bought. They sold 4 bikes in the hour I was there buying mine. Like others posted, the salesman said they are selling the bikes as fast as they can put them on the floor. Here in NH nobody is under msrp on 08 SG's. Best just to shop around for what you consider the "best deal".

Old 04-05-2008, 11:50 AM
HogBack
Road Master

Mat: I am on a family trip is Washington state. Stopped by the Harley shop...left over 07 RKs and Softailsare in the $15,785 range...they had about 8 in that range of both. Just a figure that hope will give you an idea....

Hogback

Quick Reply: Dealers coming off MSRP??