Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:01 PM
huskers11
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Default clutch question

I always start my bike when in neutral. But today, I put the bike in first gear with the clutch pulled and then started the bike.Because the clutch was pulled, I thought there was nothing wrong with that. Anyway, the bike jerked forward a little and then stopped. Do I need an adjustment or something or is that normal?

Old 04-04-2008, 01:09 PM
CrackOfDawn
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: clutch question

I don't think it needs adjusted, it was just cold. Think of it this way. If you start your bike and it is cold, then pull in the clutch and drop it in gear before it warms up - thunk!

This is the complete technical description for this situation LOL

Old 04-04-2008, 01:09 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

no that's not normal. The bike should not move forward at all if the clutch is pulled. Sounds like you are not completely disengaging the clutch.

Dennis

Old 04-04-2008, 01:16 PM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

the thick fluid in the primary is causing friction between the 'supposed' seperated plates of the clutch......the fluid is acting as part of the clutch pack and until it heats up and thins out it will be that way.....you can try to adjust that out but by doing that may not be able to apply enough pressure to the clutch pack when the normal operating temp ismet.

Let the bike warm up....it is a good thing.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on the situation, I'm not sure I'd worry about this. If the bike has been sitting for a while, more than a week maybe (?), then it may not be unusual for the clutch to be a little grabby at first. I know with my own bike, if it's been sitting, I start it up and shift into 1st, it'll try to jump a bituntil the clutch fully lets go. All shifts after that are glass smooth. If you experience this again, you might try shutting it back down and then restarting the engine. If you get the same response a second time, it's likely the clutch needs adjustment.

Of course, the prudent thing to do is not to start it with the tranny in gear in the first place. It really is a lot safer to start in neutral.

Good luck,
Steve R.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:30 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 08UC will do the same thing. Try it again after your bike is warmed up good and you might see that it will not do it. That will tell you it's the oil between the plates is a little stiff. No big deal.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:31 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get the same exact thing when starting in neutral cold. After warm up it doesn't do it. Being an over cautious type person I never start my bike unless I'm on the bike, in neutral, clutch disengaged, and front brake engage. I just don't take things for granted. I feel if it's going to happen I'm the one it's going to happen too. So far knock on wood.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:43 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

dont start you bike with transmission in gear
always use neutral to start
for what its worth a few dealer have answer that same questionfor me

Old 04-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: RoadKing_Al

I get the same exact thing when starting in neutral cold. After warm up it doesn't do it. Being an over cautious type person I never start my bike unless I'm on the bike, in neutral, clutch disengaged, and front brake engage. I just don't take things for granted. I feel if it's going to happen I'm the one it's going to happen too. So far knock on wood.
I agree, same here [sm=deal.gif]

Peter

Old 04-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: huskers11

I always start my bike when in neutral. But today, I put the bike in first gear with the clutch pulled and then started the bike.Because the clutch was pulled, I thought there was nothing wrong with that. Anyway, the bike jerked forward a little and then stopped. Do I need an adjustment or something or is that normal?
Why on earth would you wanna start in first gear ??????
Do you also switch ignition off on the freeway
or change engine oil with the engine running [sm=confused06.gif]

You've lost me.

Peter

Quick Reply: clutch question