Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A New Twist on the Road King/Heritage Debate

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008 | 11:39 AM
91fe
Advanced
Default RE: A New Twist on the Road King/Heritage Debate

ORIGINAL: Mississippi Bagger

I read the subject line "A New Twist on the Road King/Heritage Debate" and said to myself, "I didn't know there was any debate, the King is the King."

Hey! I was just going to type that.
What debate?

Old 04-04-2008 | 12:17 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned

My bud at work traded hisRK for an ultra recently....his fat wife wanted an arm chair and her own stereo controls.

He rode my RKC with solo seat last month and has told me every day since that he wished he had kept his King and divorced her instead......go figure

Like the guy said, "It's the King"...and like the other guy said, "There ain't no debate"

Old 04-04-2008 | 12:38 PM
reefrider
Road Master

I can definately see the benefit of having a bat wing for colder weather. Prolly going to get a detachable for the rkc. Just seems to be more versitle to buy tour pac, fairing seperately if you already have a King.

Old 04-04-2008 | 12:52 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned

reef,

You got a clue.......I got the RKC, butI also picked up hard bags and detachable forward mount tour pac and I'm fixing to order a removable fairing for it.

It's everything and anything in just a few minutes.....Some days I remove the windshield and bags and putter around clean...somedays I wanna travel heavy....It's all I want no matter what I want.

Old 04-04-2008 | 04:22 PM
Xtreme
Tourer

cant beat the ride of a king

Old 04-04-2008 | 06:02 PM
SoCalFXSTI
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Lewd_Dude

Yup! The Heritage is as classy as a local bar hopper gets... but when it comes to riding, well the King of the Road is the Road King!
[/align][/align]I agree, the Softail ride cannot compare with the Touring ride. That is why I have one for Sunny beach cruising and one for putting the miles on the road trips. [/align]

Old 04-04-2008 | 06:43 PM
gwcrim
Tourer

Heritage Softail =

Old 04-04-2008 | 07:51 PM
redhwk44
Road Master

For long touring the King beats them all in my opinion. I know the batwings give more protection, but on a long haul me and the wife can haul way more on our luggage rack than whatyou canin the tour pack. Was thinking about buying an Ultra (not saying it isn't a great bike) but realized I would be limited when we go on long rides. On our trip out west this past year we had 120lbs of gear on the rack and in the saddle bags. We were just over the GVW on the return trip( wife buying souvenirs). I was told what the tour pack is rated at but I can't remember. And as far as a SG goes , it is not built for 2 up touring of any great distance. I rode a friends 05 SG and I could definatley feel the stiffer suspension. JMHO

Jeff

Old 04-04-2008 | 08:21 PM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer

I go in and drool at the StreetGlide sometimes. It appeals to the anti-cold and rainy part of me. But, I just can't drink the Kool-Aide of all that permanent luggage with the Ultra.

Then the weather warms up and I take the windshield off the Marshmallow and remember why I love her so much! Open in the front, sleek lines and that big burly chrome nose. I love the way it looks and the way it rides!

BUT~> To each their own!

Right now I'm looking for a good deal on some Wild1 WO518's to "enhance" that sleek look. If anyone should have any lying around collecting dust . . .PM me! Maybe after we get back in July I'll save my pennies and get a "blem" from their website if no one has any they're looking to unload.

Old 04-04-2008 | 08:37 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: redhwk44

For long touring the King beats them all in my opinion. I know the batwings give more protection, but on a long haul me and the wife can haul way more on our luggage rack than whatyou canin the tour pack. Was thinking about buying an Ultra (not saying it isn't a great bike) but realized I would be limited when we go on long rides. On our trip out west this past year we had 120lbs of gear on the rack and in the saddle bags. We were just over the GVW on the return trip( wife buying souvenirs). I was told what the tour pack is rated at but I can't remember. And as far as a SG goes , it is not built for 2 up touring of any great distance. I rode a friends 05 SG and I could definatley feel the stiffer suspension. JMHO

Jeff
Funny you rode his '05 SG...
They weren't available until '06!

[sm=bs.gif]

Quick Reply: A New Twist on the Road King/Heritage Debate