Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powdercoating to match paint color???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Powdercoating to match paint color???

I had this ingenius idea that I was going to get a few choice parts done in black chrome. Well after talking to a few places I find that black chrome is not very durable and is more suited for show bikes. Shot down in a blaze of glory. Yes I was.

Anyhoo I still have a few chrome parts that I wanted to do something different to. So I was thinking powdercoating. That is where my question comes in. Can powdercoating be done to exactly match paint??? If I were to get it done obviously I would want it done in black pearl. Is that possible??? Sorry if it is a stupid question but I never really paid much attention to powdercoating threads or even bothered learning anything about it. Never had a need until now.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:54 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,230 Likes on 1,845 Posts
Default RE: Powdercoating to match paint color???

Roger "powdercoater" here on the forum has a website LINK and he could probably hook you up

Old 04-03-2008, 08:55 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

I had this ingenius idea that I was going to get a few choice parts done in black chrome. Well after talking to a few places I find that black chrome is not very durable and is more suited for show bikes. Shot down in a blaze of glory. Yes I was.

Anyhoo I still have a few chrome parts that I wanted to do something different to. So I was thinking powdercoating. That is where my question comes in. Can powdercoating be done to exactly match paint??? If I were to get it done obviously I would want it done in black pearl. Is that possible??? Sorry if it is a stupid question but I never really paid much attention to powdercoating threads or even bothered learning anything about it. Never had a need until now.
No sir!
You can match paint to powder, but not vice versa.
Unlesssss...you're willing to mail in a part to a powder company and pay the huge price of custom powder, usually $500 minimum.
Now the good news...Sumax is about the best in the business and if I'm not mistaken, they've manufactured their powder colors to match Harley paints. Give them a buzz. You can find them on the www.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks bp. Just dropped Sumax a line to see if they can powdercoat match black pearl.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:33 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

A year or so ago, there was a guy on here with a black pearl bike (like ours). He had a black pearlpowder that looked pretty darn close to the paint. In fact, from the pics, I could not tell the difference, at all. I am pretty sure that he mixed his own, and was giving away the portion he did not use. Wish I had snagged it, as I too, am thinking of trying to get some black pearl powder coated parts... If you find something out, please let me know...

Old 04-04-2008, 04:33 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

A year or so ago, there was a guy on here with a black pearl bike (like ours). He had a black pearlpowder that looked pretty darn close to the paint. In fact, from the pics, I could not tell the difference, at all. I am pretty sure that he mixed his own, and was giving away the portion he did not use. Wish I had snagged it, as I too, am thinking of trying to get some black pearl powder coated parts... If you find something out, please let me know...

Will do papa.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:29 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Monstermile - I do have the powder you are looking for. Dawg sent you the link to my site, thanks Dawg! If you look in the Motorcycle Gallery you will see a Black Pearl Steet Glide I did a ton of powder coating on. Everything on that bike that is black pearl... that's not stock from the factory... was done by us. You are welcome to PM me if you're interested in prices.

By the way, we can have a powder color matched to paint a WHOLE lot cheaper than $500. I does require we send a sample of the color to the manufacturer and the turn around is a couple weeks on average but $500 isn't even close.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:11 AM
cegusa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the work by Roger "Powdercoater". Although I have only had small pieces done by him, brackets and such, his work is outstanding. I have seen some samples of his other work and am sure he can get you set up with what you are looking for. Check out his website and give em' a call.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:29 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

I went through this a couple of years ago. Had a bunch of parts, to include fork sliders and such, powdercoated blue to matchthe paint on my Fatboy. Looked like a perfect match when I bolted it all together in the garage under garage lighting. The mismatch was very apparent in sunlight.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:59 AM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent ten years in the paint business...If you get the match, make sure you look at it in direct sunlight, indirect sunlight and I'd even look at it different times of the day in all different types of lighting. Like stro1965 said; What looks like a good match in one type of lighting can actually be a crappy match in other types of lighting. I've been screamed at many times because something I matched in the store didn't match when the folks got it home. The paint guys usually get the best match possible under their shop lighting and conditions. Just be careful before you sign off on it. It can be a fairly expensive learning experience. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Powdercoating to match paint color???