Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powdercoating to match paint color???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Powdercoating to match paint color???

I did a bunch of parts on my Road King.

My tins were shot with a 'Light Pewter Metallic' (a GM color) to match my pick-up truck...and I wanted to do something different with some accessories to set my bike apart from others. I did switch-housings, hand controls, calipers, swingarm and about 15 other small parts. The powder is a dead on match to the paint. I did a LOT of research and ended-up visiting several powdercoaters in the area to look at their color samples. When I found something I thought was close - I would contact the powder manufacturer and have them send me color chips to compare to my paint. It was well worth the effort in my opinion.

When the my bike was finished, my Pops liked the look - so we did several parts of his Ultra Classic. I went thru the same research, but Glacier White is a VERY difficult color to match. We got his powder VERY close - but you can see slight variances in artifical light (flourescent). In direct sunlight- you cannot see much color variance at all.

PowdersCAN be color matched - and (as powdercoater said), it's not all that expensive. If you take the time to do the reseacrch - and contact the powder mfg., you will almost certainly be able to find the color you want. Even if you have to have a custom color - it will most likely be about the same price (in the end) as paint...but will be a MUCH more durable finish.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Xtreme
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like roger has u hooked up

Old 04-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Xtreme

sounds like roger has u hooked up

Yes he has. And I'll be in touch with him real soon.