Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M paint protection Fairing install

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:16 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3M paint protection Fairing install

I have an 08 Street Glide. I am getting the fairing airbrushed with skulls as I speak. I really want to get this. Has anyone installed this themselves on their fairing? Was it easy? Hell I can't even put a stamp on a envelope straight. Any pictures of it on a fairing? Hope it doesn't interfere with the paint job.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:29 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 3M paint protection Fairing install

Send profinish an email. He's a sponsor and sells the 3m shield. He'll be able to answer your questions.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:35 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

Weve been chatting. All he said was to read the directions. I want to see pics and hear from people how the install was.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: drrandall1

Weve been chatting. All he said was to read the directions. I want to see pics and hear from people how the install was.
Yeah, I've heard the same thing, if it is as light weight and staticy like window tint its hard to work with (at least for me)....I've put window tint on before....the only thing that saved me was the fact I had a roll and could cut another piece. With these kits if you mess up one piece your screwed, so it would be nice it get some real world feed back from an inexperienced installer who put it on for the first time.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:45 PM
profinish
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While your waiting for a response from someone who actually did the install, here a photo of a batwing fairing from about 3 ft. away... Oh... BTW, send Mvinc01 a pm... I believe he did a fairing install with one of my kits.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:06 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

Looks good but I'm sure you are a professional and did the work. Just want to hear from the average Joe.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

They make a product you can spray on the fiberglass and then put the film on. That way you can slide it to where you need. I think one brand is called Sticker On. You can make it out of water and a few drops of dish wash liquid but I don't know the exact amount. The liquid dries after you get it in place works great.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:58 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

That sounds decent but would like the exact name and know the procedure. I want to hear from anyone here that has used it on their fairing.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Bor_SG
Novice

I bought this kit from Profinish but haven't had a warm enough day to put it on yet. I have used this on the front of my car and it is a lot easier to work with than window tint since it is thicker. Window tint is a pain! If you search around, you can find how much of each you need to make your solution. It was simple. The key is just to keep everything wet and it will slide around to where you want it. Then squeege out the air bubbles and extra solution and let dry over night. There are a couple of sites that sell this stuff that have the instructions on them. I remember some even had videos you could watch them do this.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

I think a fairing would be pretty tricky. Seems I proved my point about 3m protection. I think he is professional. But seems no one here has used it themselves. Just not worth the gamble and waste the money.

Quick Reply: 3M paint protection Fairing install