Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended braking technique?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 02:58 PM
msbhvn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended braking technique?

I was reading on another forum how some recommended applying the brakes. Seems the front brake was providing the majority of the braking. What is recommended with the heavier baggers?

Old 02-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Big Red
Cruiser
Default RE: Recommended braking technique?

The front brakes provide 75% of your stopping power, I recommend that people should take a motorcycle rideing course to learn proper brakeing and to not be one of those guys that drops there bike in front of a crowd trying to make a sharp turn in a parking lot.

Safe rideing BigRed

Old 02-08-2006, 03:05 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read that the front brakes amount to about 70% of your stopping power. I always use both the front and rear brakes when slowing down or stopping. I never use the front brake on tight turns in parking lot situations, but I do use it exclusively to hold myself at a stop sign or a red light.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:21 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree, your front brake provides your main stopping power. With that said though when my speed gets to below 15-20 mph I release the front brake completely and finish my stop with the rear brake only. Doing this prevents you from pitching forward and throwing you off balance. Practice slow stops with your front brake and you will see just how easy it is to lose your balance and control when the front brake is used for a complete stop. Don't forget that you have the total weight of the bike still moving forward and compressing the front forks while the front tire is stopped. Afterward I would hold my stop with the front brake so that I can put both feet down. Just my two cents....

Jim

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/9B06CE87728C4A9CA97A26B3BD094CC5.gif[/IMG]

Old 02-08-2006, 06:36 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Slam on both and hold on for dear life!!!

Old 02-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Bill918
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The braking of a motorcycle depends on several issues. When the readers above refer to 70% or 75% braking by the front brake they are referring to braking under a loaded weight shift situation. In a static position, the vehicle at rest, both brakes would brake equally, 50/50. Emergency braking may create as high as a 90% weight shift, where normal braking may only be around 60%. Now, this does not mean that you should be doing only front braking, this is the application of physical science laws (that dude Newton). Other factors which effect braking are the compound of the rubber used in the tire, which along with the road surface will create a value known as the coefficient of friction. Generally speaking a portland cement roadway will have a higher coefficent of friction then an asphalt roadway. New asphalt is higher than polished or worn asphalt. Tread patterns have little or nothing to do with stopping on dry pavement. Maximum braking efficiency is achieved at threshold braking. This is that point just before you enter a skid situation. This would hold true for both front and rear braking. This is the theory upon which abs brakes are designed. They engage to threshold braking, release, engage, etc. Hope this helps. This is only my .02 with a backround as a fatal crash reconstructionist.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

fatal crash reconstructionist
Is that some new fangled religion?

Old 02-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

I always thought you should apply equal pressure both front and back. With that said I must admit I'm guilty of using more back than front but that's only because the front brake of my SG squeals like a pig. I'm embarassed when around other vehicles and pedestrians.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:40 PM
scatterbrain
Cruiser

I only ever use the rear brake when stopping in dirt or gravel, or lightly to steady the bike in a tight slow-speed turn. Under normal conditions, I never touch my rear brake. If you maintain good riding posture, stopping with only the front brake shouldn't unbalance you - unless you stop slowly enough that your last little bit of forward motion is wobble-city - to fix that, get your stop done a bit more quickly. If you ever have to stop ASAP, then both should be used, but still, let the front do almost all the work. Your front brake can be your best friend - get to know it well.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Barebackjack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best thing is to take a riders course. If that is not an option go to a parking lot and practice extreme braking, low speed turns and etc. I not trying to preach to anybody but it seems to be alot of folks on this forum that are pretty new. Practice makes perfect.Any of you long time riders, don't ever hesitate to help someone new. You might save their lives one day.

Quick Reply: Recommended braking technique?