Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle detailing

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:42 PM
2003flhtci
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motorcycle detailing

I wouldn't pay...I'm not turning my pride and joy over to ANYONE to roll around or drive around or whatever. The last detailing place I heard of in my area wants the bike for a whole day. Not a chance. After a ride I lay a wet cloth on the windshield/fairing to soak the bug splat and make it easy to wipe off, wipe down with a damp chamois, and spray the black stuff like the engine block and fins with Pig Spit (great product I heard about right here on this forum!). About once a month I wax the paint and polish the chrome. I don't go to DIY car washes or even spray it with a hose. I just hand clean it. Doesn't take long and as others have said it's a great way to safety inspect your ride in the process.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:47 PM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

I prefer to clean it myself. Fill the fridge full of beer, crank the radio up and go to town. What's that old saying...."If someone else is strokin' your bike they may as well be strokin' your woman." Not going to happen.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Bike details cost about $125 around Chicago. Idetail my own bike. I actually enjoy cleaning it on rainy days when I can't ride. While washing and polishing the bike, I also use the opportunity to check for loose fasteners, spokes, belt tension, tire pressure and fluid levels.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:12 PM
wallstreetglide
Intermediate

I hate washing my bike and would pay up to 20 bucks for a good wash.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:30 PM
67riv
Advanced

Go pick up mrsr71 friends and do it yourself(take your time) youwill be able to check things over (on your bike). Save the $$$ & buy something nice for your bike.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Ilove to watchthe ladies at bikini bike washes, but I don't let them touch my bike. On a number of occasions, I've seen them drop a sponge or towelon the ground, pick it up with abrasive debri embedded in the material andthen wipe it across paint.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I get my bike detailed all the time, by me! No charge!!!
Some beer and tune is all you need!

Old 04-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I enjoy doing it myself. Yesterday, I changed the oil, etc. on the Springer, took her out for about 3 hours and then brought her home for a wash, polish and wax job. That, to me, is a fine day. Now, if it will only stop raining by the weekend so I can take her pretty self out for some serious miles.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:19 PM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to detail cars on the side. I don't do it much anymore but I keep my own things very clean. I have a couple buddies that I might clean there bikes for them once it gets nice, but that will be about it. A one time thing in the beginning of the year, they know they can trust me tho!

Old 04-03-2008, 04:51 PM
baldjohnny
Cruiser

It is a pain in the *** to really detailthe bike and then have it get dirty (in my eyes) the first couple of rides. Can almost guarantee it's gonna rain...The thought of paying someone to do it and have the same thing happen is repugnant.Cold beerand music, sounds like everyone else has the right idea of a good time!

Quick Reply: Motorcycle detailing