Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Coolers Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:03 PM
56Maynard
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Coolers Worth It?

ORIGINAL: thehueg

I'm new to Harley's having just bought an ' 08 Ultra Classic. I knew going into the buy that these bikes can run hot. But having rented them in Texas and Las Vegas at 100 degrees plus, my wife and I still really enjoyed the rides. Anyway, is an oil cooler a good investment? How much will the temperature drop with one of them installed versus leaving the bike stock? Last, what's a reasonable expense for parts and labor for the dealer to install?

Thanks,
I can't think of any other air cooled motor producing 40-50 hp per cylinder on this planet that isn't engineered with an oil cooler. I can't even think of an air cooled motor producing over 10 hp per cylinder that doesn't include an oil cooler. In the case of air cooled automotive, they run coolers and fans inside of shrouding to direct the flow across the cooling fins. In the case of aircraft engines, they also use coolers (w/fan) and shrouding and never sit in traffic.

In terms of coolers being a good investment, it appears that more then 99.9% of the engineers agree that they are not only a good investment but are absolutely necessary on air cooled engines. Your only choice is, which engineers to listen to. (Pretty easy choice for me at least).

I am not real sure but I wouldn't think that simply looking at the change in the oil temp at the point of reservoir would indicate anything meaningful whatsoever if you consider that a "less heat soaked oil" is or should be collecting or transfering and pulling back more heat to that reservoir. I would think that to measure the effect correctly would include measuring temps of different components of the engine not the oil itself.

In terms of cost, I don't know that off hand but, I again would direct your attention to aircraft and automotive engineer's opinions. They seem to agree that it don't matter what it costs because the motor will be junk without it. Having said that, I think everyone can agree that the quickest way for an engineer to find himself "standing outside the gate looking in" is to include something in a design that isn't absolutely necessary. The fact that those other 99.9% of engineers that insist on coolers are still employed makes the whole issue self evident huh?

Old 04-04-2008, 12:04 PM
acedantinne
Tourer

07 and newer YES. The harley prem works good.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MassHD

Anyone ever use one of these coolers?

http://www.blenn-air.com/
I don't have a Blenn-Air, but would like to, sent them a question if it would fit with lowers!

Presently running the H-D Premium.

I bet they work better then they look,and are nice looking too.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Think of it this way, most autos now have electric fans either in front or behind the radiator. Going down the highway, the fan does not run as there is enough moving air to remove the heat from the radiator. Same for a HD oil cooler, moving it will lowerthe engine temps due to airflow. Stopped, the fan on the car now runs, moving air across the radiator to help cool. For a HD, there is no fan and therefore the oil cooler is ineffective at slow speeds or stop and go traffic. Do I run one, yes, as going down the road engine temps are maintained at a lower level. Does it help in stop and go traffic - no, no air flow, no cooling. Will it work with fairing lowers- yes.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Xtreme
Tourer

yes they work. I would like to see someone put a tiny fan on the cooler that way the cooler would would work in traffic

Old 04-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

ORIGINAL: cleanandfreerider

Anybody else got feedback regarding the fans??
I suppose if you ride in a lot of parades, you might want a fan. Personally, most of my riding is in 5th gear. I've had a cooler on every bike I've owned for over thirty years.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:28 PM
liftgator
Advanced

Anyone have a problem with debris coming off the front wheel and damaging the cooler? It seems to be located in a susceptible area for damage. Thanks

Old 04-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Xtreme
Tourer

Idont do alot of parades butIdo ride in alot of traffic from time to time.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

ORIGINAL: liftgator

Anyone have a problem with debris coming off the front wheel and damaging the cooler? It seems to be located in a susceptible area for damage. Thanks
I replaced my front fender with a Fatboy front which exposed the cooler even more, and have had no issues from debris other than some bent fins.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:14 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,349 Likes on 5,493 Posts

This one is made by Lenale fan is nice but the horn that comes with the kit is almost worthless recomemnd you just relocate factory horn. If you want other pictures or longterm test just give me a yell.
219 dollars 20 minutes to install.
ORIGINAL: cleanandfreerider

Anybody else got feedback regarding the fans??
[IMG]local://upfiles/52318/7A26D7BAC0CF4279A900E7DDB9F4BFD2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/52318/BB6014F1BF9A4A649519806B272BBD54.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Oil Coolers Worth It?