Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind gusts, better to ride with windshield on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:33 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wind gusts, better to ride with windshield on or off?

I'm picking up my Road King today and we are having 30mph gusts. Is it going to be worse riding with the windshield on the bike? I'm just wondering if it is going to act like a sail and pull the bike in one direction or another. My wife will be following me home, so she could take it if need be.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Default RE: Wind gusts, better to ride with windshield on or off?

It won't make much difference either way as long as you are ready for it. I've ridden in 60mph gusts and was glad I had the fairing/windshield on my 08 Ultra.....was glad when I could finally park the bike after that one though.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Badfinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I like it better when the wind hits the bike. I can control that better than when it hits me and feels like it's trying to pry me off. Also much less fatigued at the end of the ride. Use a firm but not death grip or you're hands will go numb very quickly.

Ride well,

Jim

Old 04-02-2008, 08:29 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks, i'll try it with it on,I got about 40 miles riding before we have to get on the hiway for the last 50 miles or so.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:30 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my windshield catching windgusts, bugs and debris better than my face doing it.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:51 AM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was me, I'd feel better with the windshield on, especially on the highway. 30 mph gusts aren't too bad so you should be okay. Just take it easy and ride up to the speed you feel comfortable with.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 AM
warthawg
Tourer

When I had my Heritage we were coming back from Key West and the wind was gusting upwards of 40-50 mph. Was glad to have the shield, but because it was removeable it made me real nervious when the gust came from behind. Fortuntely I carry a supply of zip ties and used them to secure it at the connection. After that I just left the zip ties on, just a little added security and it was still easy to remove when needed.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:27 AM
SCRider
Cruiser

Cross winds are your biggest danger when riding in a windy area. A windshield does not really affect winds hitting you from the side so you should be just fine with the windshield on. I too prefer the windshield on when there is a lot of wind so the blowing debis hits the windshield and not my face.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was riding my Ultra Classic in the Palm Springs area on Calif 62 between Yucca Valley and Interstate 10 last weekend. (It is where all the wind power machines are.)Strongest winds I have ever ridden in. 40 MPH gusts minmum (according to weather reports) maybe even 50 mph or more; hard to tell. They were strong crosswinds; I had to lean into the wind and my head was constantly jerked upwards from wind blasts. I had a passenger and it frightened her as the gusts were so strong. I was wondering if the wind would have affected me so much if I did not have the fairing, bags, etc.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 AM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Man just stay focused and hold on,catching cross wind on a curve can send you into a ditch,or the oncomeing lane if it hits while your relaxed and sight seeing!!![]

Quick Reply: Wind gusts, better to ride with windshield on or off?