Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive by wire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008 | 05:49 PM
bikerdad5
|
Advanced
Default Drive by wire?

I do not think that drive by wire is a good idea for bikes, too many problems with the auto side of this idea. I work for a GM dealership andthey are so picky about working smoothly let alone able to have any manual shut off in case of failure..

Old 04-01-2008 | 05:55 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Drive by wire?

Do you have any experience with the DBW on motorcycles? Other than a couple complaining of a slight delay (which I understand had a fix) I haven't read or heard of any other problems.

Old 04-01-2008 | 06:05 PM
bikerdad5
|
Advanced

Have heard of several accidents and even a death from bike going wide open on its own. Hear say no hard evidence.

Old 04-01-2008 | 06:05 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Terry1955

Do you have any experience with the DBW on motorcycles? Other than a couple complaining of a slight delay (which I understand had a fix) I haven't read or heard of any other problems.
What exactly have you heard about the fix for the delay in throttle response? I haven't actually felt it on my bike, but a good friens with a 08' says he has felt it pulling away from stops and such.

Old 04-01-2008 | 06:12 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

Dealer mentioned issues with throttle getting "stuck" off idle - i.e. revs high at idle. Agree, don't think this a good idea - IMO.

Old 04-01-2008 | 06:16 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I can't remember what the fix was. I read it here on the forum.

ORIGINAL: biz44

What exactly have you heard about the fix for the delay in throttle response? I haven't actually felt it on my bike, but a good friens with a 08' says he has felt it pulling away from stops and such.

Old 04-01-2008 | 06:28 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

I can't remember what the fix was. I read it here on the forum.

ORIGINAL: biz44

I think Gutman(HD Dealership owner that frequents here at hdforums) mentioned an ECM update to combat the Die By Wire phenomenon.

Old 04-01-2008 | 06:34 PM
Jager
Cruiser

No issues on mine. I like it!

Old 04-01-2008 | 06:43 PM
djhrln
Cruiser

Badfinger posted this on 2/20, I tried it and it did not fix the throttle lag. I think it was also suggested to change the 3 seconds to 10 seconds. Except for the delay off idle, my 08 EGC runs great. I'll be watching closely for a real fix.

Quote:
Note
Whenever a new twist grip sensor (or ECM) is installed, place the engine run/stop switch in the RUN position and turn the ignition/light keyswitch to IGNITION and then back to OFF four times (without starting engine). Allow at least three seconds to elapse between ignition cycles. As the ECM uses the first four ignition cycles to establish the optimum idle speed, there may be initial performance problems if the procedure is not performed, such as high idle or hesitation when the throttle is opened.

Old 04-01-2008 | 06:52 PM
xcelr8
Road Master

The cables are a thing of the past........TBW is here to stay.

Quick Reply: Drive by wire?