Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive by wire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008 | 07:14 PM
pounder35
Tourer
Default RE: Drive by wire?

Not 1 problem on mine08SG14,700miles to..actually i love it... 1 less cable i needed to order on my bar swap as well

Old 04-01-2008 | 08:02 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

No problems with mine. I am much more worried about cars pulling in front of me then the TBW.

Old 04-01-2008 | 08:21 PM
balcy24
Advanced

Our department just got 2 new police bikes. One just had the high idle problem (idle was at about 3000 RPM when warm) which was fixed with theECM recycle.

I have TBWon my '07 Dodge Charger and can'ttellany difference over a standardgas pedal...

Old 04-01-2008 | 08:23 PM
Trey Hogger
Road Master

No problems here so far either, but not to many miles yet. Still just getting used to the bike in general. I have noticed a tendency to lug the motor just a bit from a stop, but attributed it to a heavier bike and a little different feel to the clutch. I hope that's not something to do with the throttle delay. I never notice ANY delay in motor response when I twist the grip.

Old 04-01-2008 | 08:32 PM
Northside
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: xcelr8

The cables are a thing of the past........TBW is here to stay.
That's what the Feds said about the restrictive air cleaners and Quiet mufflers that Harley had to put on back in the '70s. Oh yeah Helmet Laws too. Fooled them didn't we?

Old 04-01-2008 | 08:46 PM
xcelr8
Road Master

.......and if you wait long enough, kick start bikes will be all the rage.

Old 04-01-2008 | 08:57 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

You guy's kill me. So afraid of something new that has really been around for years. Maybe we should go back to points and distributors too.

When ever someone tells me " That's the way we have always done it. " I tell them...'Yeah? Well we used to get off the couch to change the channel all the time but we don't do thatany more either."

It's the first year so you would be crazy not to expect a few failures. But since all the bikes are going to fuel injection because it is more efficient and dependable than a carb, why not get rid of the throttle cables? All the cables do is open the throttle plate. The computer still controls everything..... timing, injector pulse and length, etc. All the throttle by wire does is do it electronically as opposed to mechanically. The wires don't stretch, wear out, stick, get sloppy, require lube......All that and I bet it is cheaper and easier to build. I'm sure they have passed the savings on to us

If a throttle stuck open, a rider can always pull in the clutch or hit the kill switch. I saw several posts today of people that have had it happen with cables.

I'd love to hear from someone who actually hadthe bikeaccelerate on it's own while they were riding that have the throttle by wire. I have heard plenty of idle issues but no accelerating while riding.

I expect it's hear to stay and will be phased in like the 6 speed was. Another item people complain about but have never heard of one actually failing. Noisy maybe but they work.

Old 04-02-2008 | 08:45 AM
Printer
Intermediate

I have a 08 RKC and I have no problem with the wire. The bike is great. Had a BMW motorcycle for three years years. It had a drive by wire. No problem.
CW

Old 04-02-2008 | 09:05 AM
2ForTheRoad
Road Master

I have it, love it, noticed a huge difference on a loaner '07 with cable last year and I much prefer the wire throttle. Just had ISO grips put on mine and love it.

Old 04-02-2008 | 09:34 AM
cadman311
Club Member

I have a dealer that can 't keep heat hand grip working more then couple months do to water. I was told by the dealer not to ride in the rain. So now that the die by wire is out people had problems. With the things not working right all the time. I see the fair weather ride for a new harley being the way of the future.

Quick Reply: Drive by wire?