Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK You Builder Types...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Rocket Jockey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK You Builder Types...

I posted this in the "Custom" section but because I hang here and know there are some talented folks here, I thought I would ask.

I am thinking about building a custom and need to know what I am in for before I take the leap. What I want to build will look like the Sucker Punch Sally (SPS) "66" bobber. http://www.suckerpunchsallys.com/sixtysix08.htm Hopefully that is a reasonable goal for my first full build. I would probably buy the SPS frame and use aHarley EVO or TC motor.

What will I have to do to get it titled, licensed, insured?What are some good resource "How To..." books forcustom bike building? What will be the most difficult part?From experience, what are your best tips before I get started?

This bike thing is a sickness I tell ya.....a sickness. []

Thanks in advance,
RJ

P.S. Phil, don't change your cell number!! I will pay for on-line support with Starbucks gift cards!!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts
Default RE: OK You Builder Types...

Been a few years but I've done a few from new frame and engine. Get and save ALL your receipts. Get your front end and rear wheel on for fitting brakes, fenders etc. Get a tank on and fit your bars making sure they'll turn and clear.You will probably need to fabricat brackets and mounts. Install engine tranny, primary, and oil tank. Fit your exhaust. Make sure your rear drive lines up. Mount lights and rear master cyl. pegs. There are aftermarket wire looms available. Plan your wiring, drill holes where necessary to run hidden wiring if you want. Plan what gets plated, powder coated, and painted. Don't forget a seat. Sit on it and see if if feels good. Disassemble, send out paint etc. Reassemble. Take your receipts with pictures to Motor Vehicle Dept and apply for a title. Then go fight with your insurance company.

There is no better feeling in the world than riding it for the first time! You thought it out, saw it in your mind then made it real. Not to brag, but an old buddy of mine came over a month or so ago andtalkedabout one I built in '73 and said it was the neatest bike he'd ever seen. What a feelin'.
I rode that one 5 years and sold it for big bucks.

I'm a Machinist by trade so it was easier for me. You may have to farm out some stuff, but it's worth all the hard work.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:49 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built my chopper from an '84 FXST softail. That way it was already licensed, had frame numbers and stuff. All I had to do was be real careful when raking the neck and stuff not to wreck the numbers. Plus I had all the electric, motor and tranny etc in place to begin with so I took a lot of photos and had things to go by when I was ready to re assemble what was left of the orginal stuff. And my title says "Harley Davidson" which is what I wanted all along. : )

[IMG]local://upfiles/9233/B306EA8881664D6D8667FA651DEDF8D4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9233/5C6DD7993D964B3385CF2B2F2A463DD5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hahahaaha!!!!!!!

That looks like fun. Heck, if you can ever get the temps above freezing up there I might even come up to see (read: RIDE) one of them! [8D]

Old 04-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

The whole DMV thing is not as easy as it used to be, first thing I would do is get in touch with your local DMV and find out what kinda hoops they will want you to jump through, every state is different. Once you've determined what you need to do to satisfy the DMV graces, then go about getting your parts together. There are companies that will sell you a rolling chassis, which is probably a good bet for a first timebuilder (I dont know the extent of your fab and welding talents). Most of the "hard" fab work has beensetup for you to finish and the "guess work" on the geometry has already been worked out.

That should get you started, I will see if I can find some build books that are around. I havent built a scoot for a few years but I've built a few over he years. There is nothing better than ridding a scoot that you built!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:05 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I have never built a bike. And, I do not have the skills (yet) to do so, but it is something I have always wanted to do. One thing I would want is an old Harley frame. My understanding, as mentioned above, is that the title will then say "Harley", so insurance might be a bit easier...My neighbor has a custom built bobber... it is a nice bike, but he pays way more than I would want for insurance... just something to consider. Plus, make sure you use quality parts... as with anything... good luck, and look forward to seeing the build transform...

Old 04-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

whole deal in a nutshell right here...dmv was easy in texas....save receipts, no prob

ORIGINAL: Northside

Been a few years but I've done a few from new frame and engine. Get and save ALL your receipts. Get your front end and rear wheel on for fitting brakes, fenders etc. Get a tank on and fit your bars making sure they'll turn and clear.You will probably need to fabricat brackets and mounts. Install engine tranny, primary, and oil tank. Fit your exhaust. Make sure your rear drive lines up. Mount lights and rear master cyl. pegs. There are aftermarket wire looms available. Plan your wiring, drill holes where necessary to run hidden wiring if you want. Plan what gets plated, powder coated, and painted. Don't forget a seat. Sit on it and see if if feels good. Disassemble, send out paint etc. Reassemble. Take your receipts with pictures to Motor Vehicle Dept and apply for a title. Then go fight with your insurance company.

There is no better feeling in the world than riding it for the first time! You thought it out, saw it in your mind then made it real. Not to brag, but an old buddy of mine came over a month or so ago andtalkedabout one I built in '73 and said it was the neatest bike he'd ever seen. What a feelin'.
I rode that one 5 years and sold it for big bucks.

I'm a Machinist by trade so it was easier for me. You may have to farm out some stuff, but it's worth all the hard work.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:17 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a bobber I built 2 years ago. I built the motor too, from the ground, up...89hp Panhead

[IMG]local://upfiles/38885/926E985B3168422DB53B170F6A94FE83.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38885/E8E3351E32354735BC9AD7BA44F6789A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-03-2008, 04:58 AM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two issues I didn't put many brain cells toward when I decided to build a bagger.
1. Reqistration: I'm in VA, my paper work has been submitted for the 2nd time (have to do EVERYTHING by mail) and I'm up to $710.00 just trying to get a VIN number
2. Insurance: I've located only one insurance company in the US that will insure a custom built bike, Foremost. (those of you that "think" progressive, geico, etc will are wrong). You can get liability only, but full coverage is only available from Foremost. I can't get the insurance until I get the registration. "Tenative" quote is between $1800-2400 per year (Bike value $35K).
In hind site, I should have bought a wrecked bagger just to get the VIN number, would have saved a lot of trouble resolving both of these issues.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:48 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

A custom built bike leaves one with a feeling hard to put into words.contact your states MV dept for reg info.The hardest part of any build is patience,and sticking with it to the end.

Quick Reply: OK You Builder Types...