Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK You Builder Types...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:09 AM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OK You Builder Types...

ORIGINAL: dog155
A custom built bike leaves one with a feeling hard to put into words.
That's the truth! However often it seems that many of the "Customs" are really put together from all pre-fab parts that are bought from a catalog and assembled. That's why I wanted to start with a Harley. Transforming it from stock to what I saw in my head was an amazing experience. Cutting, stretching and raking the frame to make it look like I wanted and then molding and painting it in my garage, hand building the seat pan etc etc etc to me are all parts of "building" a bike. And in the end, I have a Harley, not an "Assembled", a Harley, and that to me is priceless.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 AM
wydopn231
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

step one call your local dmv office.requets a copy of whats reqquired to title bike built from scratch.The last one I did was built from moly tubing(light is fast)I built the frame took pics of it during construction.Bought lots of enegine parts,only needed papper of origin for cases.Only snag was the tranny and it took some work to conveince the idiots how it went together.It took few trips and lots of paper work.The more papper work you you give them the quicker they say hell here title.
As sais before keep all receipts and few pictures of constrcuion want hurt either.
As for the project its self.Yours seems real str8 forward.You could actualy open the Jireh cycles book and buy 90 % of it.To me biggest pain is wiring it so the wiring looks good.other than that its pretty simple just make sure to match the parts before ordering them to make assembly easier.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:45 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At the time I built my Evo chopper, I had incorporated to build bikes as a business. Although unsuccessful I was able to assign VIN #s for any bikes I built. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything I can think of. I consider my bike a "Master Piece" employing my 30+ yrs experience as a mechanical technician. I have the opportunity to build it again thanks to a 19 yr old left turning girl.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36103/47B7E49FA351488BB8BEA7F853E36038.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36103/389F37FEFC5E4DBAA1DBFA23B208C964.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-03-2008, 10:07 AM
gottahavvitt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built my last custom (see signature pic) back in about 1985. Started with a rigid frame and evo motor.
Someone already said to make sure you save ALL your receipts. When I went to register they hit me for sales tax on all the parts even though I bought them at swap meets out of state or through Ted's catalog.
I didn't have receipts so they put their tiny brains together and came up with a figure out the clear blue sky. I think it was like an extra $600 or so.
Another thin to make sure of is that you have COA (certificates of origin for the frame and the motor. I bought the motor right from Harley and the paucho frame through Ted's so the COA was not a problem.

The rest is a whole lot of fun and trouble at the same time but like someone else said there is nothing like taking it for its first ride.
I had to sell mine because of legal problems and really do miss my baby. I plan on building another one next year.
Have fun and good luck.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:49 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: gottahavvitt

I built my last custom (see signature pic) back in about 1985. Started with a rigid frame and evo motor.
Someone already said to make sure you save ALL your receipts. When I went to register they hit me for sales tax on all the parts even though I bought them at swap meets out of state or through Ted's catalog.
I didn't have receipts so they put their tiny brains together and came up with a figure out the clear blue sky. I think it was like an extra $600 or so.
Another thin to make sure of is that you have COA (certificates of origin for the frame and the motor. I bought the motor right from Harley and the paucho frame through Ted's so the COA was not a problem.

The rest is a whole lot of fun and trouble at the same time but like someone else said there is nothing like taking it for its first ride.
I had to sell mine because of legal problems and really do miss my baby. I plan on building another one next year.
Have fun and good luck.
The way I understand the tax issue..if you've paid sales tax on parts you use, you don't have to pay that tax again.
It would be double jeopardy.
Now, if you live in my state...the state of hicks, rednecks and inbreds...TN.....the DMV hasn't a clue WTF they're doing!

Old 04-04-2008, 03:12 PM
gottahavvitt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadPiggy

ORIGINAL: gottahavvitt

Have fun and good luck.
The way I understand the tax issue..if you've paid sales tax on parts you use, you don't have to pay that tax again.
It would be double jeopardy.
Now, if you live in my state...the state of hicks, rednecks and inbreds...TN.....the DMV hasn't a clue WTF they're doing!
In Mass if you buy something off the internet or out of state you are supposed to pay THIS state the 5% sales tax. They don't call this TAXACHUSETTS FOR NOTHING.