Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone seen this ? TBW causes death

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:58 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Anyone seen this ? TBW causes death

My condolences to the family.
Hope they can prove it was a HD design flaw.
We really need NEW BLOOD AT THE TOP LEVEL OF MOCO
who has real concerns for us customers!

Again my condolences!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:40 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Come on!...Get real!...Stop defending the stupid asses that designed HD TBW.

Yeah, fersure it's proven tech on many cars, but how many cars out there will reset the throttle if you shut engine off while you have it reved up?.....None....Only Harley does this!

Yep, if you have engine reved when you hit kill switch, the new idle speed is where the engine was when you killed it.....NOW THAT IS FARKED UP!

Yet many of you heresay it's just a glitch and we should learn to not use kill switch least we end up with out of control idle speed.....

You defenders with '08 TBW might end up in a ditch bleeding out while the MOCO and EMT's and all your friends whisper it was operator error(like is always is to John Public whenever a biker gets splattered).....Yeah, wait till you end up like that then try to prove TBW failed.....The bike will be wrecked, you will be wrecked, and all the King's horses and all his men won't be able to determine what really happened.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:07 PM
uweldit
Road Captain

Oh c'mon now...the kill switch don't reset the idle speed when the engine is revved up.

I've done it during testing and it don't happen.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:23 PM
uweldit
Road Captain

First of all, condolances to the brother and his family.

To set the record straight on the kill switch...

Bikes used to use keys to turn the ignition on. Sometimes these keys are inaccessible if there is a runaway throttle situation with cables (ask me how I know). In this case you pull the clutch, press the handlebar mounted kill switch and roll the bike onto the shoulder of the road.

It's there so you maintain two hand control withour removing one hand to turn the switch off.

That's what I was taught. Using the kill switch after turning on the IGN also keeps both hands on the bars while starting the bike.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:30 PM
LdyMjo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ripper43

ORIGINAL: LdyMjo

I'm very sorry for the family's loss, and the road ahead for the wife.Ripper, thank you for the post. I am a new riderwith approx. 650on an 08 XL1200N and had my throttle stick yesterday in first. I am not sure if my set up is the same, but I will have it looked at. Yesterday I re-checked everything I was doing and there was nothing that should have been causing this. I just thought hum, must be cold or something--idle sticking. It seemed fine later in the day. I hadn't heard of this problem with any HD model before.

And hey, captjohn37, WTF? A head's up is an appropriate thing, and he's got a good reason to give us one. I did not read a dark omen in this, just concern. There is too much on this site that tries to blow off precautions becausesomefolks don't want to hear it. Someof us are grateful. Lighten up.
Glad I could help But, your bike does not have this type of throttle system so if it was/is sticking take it to the dealer ASAP and get it checked out because any sticking is an unsafe condition........ Good luck and ride safe
Thanks Ripper--glad to know not my system, though you're right--requires a check. Another post mentioned the high idle ata stop--from a stopping position is actually when it started for me, and it stayed that way until Ishifted into second. I lifted my hand and was not revving it--something amiss. Thanks again, and you ride safe as well.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:41 PM
mrblister
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Bad news. Be ready for anything because if you get out there enough you'll see it.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Bluerose
Default RE: Anyone seen this

ORIGINAL: Windup08

ORIGINAL: captjon37

Good God, People believe anything. Everything and every product could be linked to a death but that does not mean if you own that product you will die. People die everyday of something. i find it hard to believe that TBW will be causeing multiple deaths or was the cause of that bull@#$% story death. If you believe everything you read you better build a bomb shelter under your house and live there and never come out. Then again, what would you build it with. Cement is responsible for many deaths. Wood too. Hammers,nails,electricity,water. The end is near. Do yourself a favor and pull the trigger.
Thank you for saying what I wanted to, but couldn't find the right words. I feel very sorry for this and any biker that goes down in an accident, but to declare all 08 FBW bikes a death waiting to happen is rediculous.
+1.

These bikes have been out for 8 months...some with only a few hundred miles some with several thousand miles. You would think there would be MANY MANY more incidents reported. Most reports I have heard have been about high RPMs at idle...not a sticking throttle.I have not had any incidents at all of either ther throttle sticking or high RPM...I have 2000 miles on mine. I just replaced the bars and have ridden a couple hundred miles.

I always stop myengine with the kill switch then turn off the ignition. I always turn on the ignition and then hit the "Run" switch to start the bike...no issues.

Like cruise control and the ABS they have to put in methods for safety...In fact if an error is thrown the Electroic Throttle Controlgoes into several safety modes includingfull engine shutdown (seepg 40 for those with an '08)

A few year back my daughter bought a SAAB...She called me screaming one day (a mother's scariest moment) her throttle was stuck and she was accelerating past 80 on a crowded freeway. I instructed her to shift to neutral (pulling the clutch in an automatic) get to the side ASAP and kill the engine. She is a small girl and may not have been able to yank the car to the side safely if she had shutdown. Turns out a clip on her cruise contorl had come off and stuck the throttle open...All actual cables.....

Old 04-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

rl
ORIGINAL: LdyMjo

I'm very sorry for the family's loss, and the road ahead for the wife.Ripper, thank you for the post. I am a new riderwith approx. 650on an 08 XL1200N and had my throttle stick yesterday in first. I am not sure if my set up is the same, but I will have it looked at.
Your XL1200 has throttle cables I believe, so it couldn't be the same problem

Editted to add;
Never mind me, I forgot to read page 2 and see you got this answer already [sm=oopssign.gif]

Old 04-02-2008, 07:21 AM
mike greeno
Advanced

Sorry for your famileys loss stay strong brother!!!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 09:01 AM
cdale976
Road Master

i have a bro that has parked his 08 until HD can make it right . has happen twice to him.....

USE CAUTION

Quick Reply: Anyone seen this ? TBW causes death