Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone seen this ? TBW causes death

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anyone seen this

ORIGINAL: The Baron

My condolences to the involved parties.

This is why I stick to old school carbs and cables. Electrical demons are worthy foes.
+1

When I first heard about the TBW it was not a good feeling.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:52 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Baron

For sure, without knowing the situation. Riding MX has given me a habit of always riding with a finger on the front brake and two on the clutch, always, just in case.

Same with me on the fingers. old habits die hard and sometimes thats a good thing.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:07 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And they knew it was the TBW how?

Old 04-01-2008, 04:12 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rocknrod

And they knew it was the TBW how?
Good question. I would assume that he was riding with someone else that seen it? and the fact that it had been in the shop for this earlier.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Even a carbcan lock open on you. I've had it happen to me in heavy traffic on my 79. A piece of throttle cable frayed and locked the slide 1/3 open. I pulled in the clutch, let it out, pulled it in, etc. and rode it to a side street and hit the kill button when I could coast.

I've wondered about fly by wire on a bike. Think I trust my current cable setup on an S&S and on the Buel throtle body more.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:20 PM
marthared
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's really sad. Prayers to the family.

I had my throttle stick and accelerate right after I had my new handlebars put on. Turned out to be that the throttle housing was either too close or too far on the handlebar and not fitting quite right in the handlebar holes. They moved it, and it's been fine for 2500 miles. Still, makes me wonder....

Old 04-01-2008, 04:23 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anyone seen this ? TBW causes death

Profinish posted about this problem on the 29th. It's happened before. Maybe the MOCO will do something about it not that some poor bast*rd lost his life because of it.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:24 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr.Hess

Even a carbcan lock open on you. I've had it happen to me in heavy traffic on my 79. A piece of throttle cable frayed and locked the slide 1/3 open. I pulled in the clutch, let it out, pulled it in, etc. and rode it to a side street and hit the kill button when I could coast.

I've wondered about fly by wire on a bike. Think I trust my current cable setup on an S&S and on the Buel throtle body more.
I too have had a throttle stick on me. Used the clutch until I could kill the bike.
Heck I even had the throttle boss opening up the throttle too much and had to use the clutch, until I realized what the matter was. Cold day - too many clothes etc.
So I really do question this line of thinking.
I mean it's what "some" people love to hear. Like when electricity came out = it killed people...
TBW has been around a long time if anyone really cares to investigate. Not new technology. So when I hear "new fangled thing" I have to laugh.

At any rate it's a shame another brother died on his bike whatever the reason.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:25 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about his death [&o]I hope Sindi makes a full recovery! I never could figure out why Harley would want to go to the expense and trouble to replace the throttle cables anyway, I've never trusted them even on cars, my wifes Hemi ram has it and I hate it! The computer can override any input you give the throttle, burn outs are a thing of the past, shame too, that hemi feels like it would romp if the computer would let it [:@]

Old 04-01-2008, 04:58 PM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

That's the main reason I choose a used 05' and stayed away from that. Looked like an accident waiting to happen. All it does is give the bike that clean wireless look, no advantages, just another thing to go wrong.... I am just waiting for the passenger seat frame to break and kill someone on that damn Rocker C. Stupid MOCO needs to take a step back and think about this!

Quick Reply: Anyone seen this ? TBW causes death