Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone seen this ? TBW causes death

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:44 PM
rmarion
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anyone seen this ? TBW causes death

GODSPEED and RIP Hammer

Old 04-06-2008, 10:06 PM
FLHXn
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rayfinseats

BOYCOTT the 08's
I really hope you're trying to be funny!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:45 AM
b51
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 Sportster 1200, and the throttle has stuck on me three times, always in first gear. Mentioned it to service people at the dealer where I bought it while in for the 10000 mile oil change. Said it was only on 2008 touring bikes and that the Sportsters have cables, I don't care how many cables it has, know when something is not running right, scared the daylights out of me. I am going to send a letter to the Harley Davidson Co. and let them know, and hope anyone else with a Sportster would do so also, then maybe they will take it seriously. As a friend said, they aren't going to admit to any problems until there are alot of complaints or a recall. Riding and keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:59 AM
prowler
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My condolences and prayers go out to the family and friends.

Since I was not there I can not speculate on what happened. I have worked with these types of sysytems on aircraft and there are pretty reliable. But, things do happen.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Default Who is to stop them?

Originally Posted by Chicago Spike
Very sorry to hear of this and all my best for the friends and family.

I am, however, skeptical of the cause being the ETC. There are many, yes many, redundancies to override the ETC in such an event both electrical and mechanical(return springs ). Not saying it didn't happen, but a lot would have to fail to have the ETC lock the throttle open. H-D wouldn't be allowed to put a system on the road that didn't have those many overrides
Remember it is a money numbers game. Some bean counter can decide it is cheaper to pay a few lawsuits than re-engineer a whole system. You know this kind of accounting has happened before, why do you think any large corp. that is governed by their quarterly sales numbers would be any different? I bought my 08 FLHX in July and have had both exceleration and high idle problems. I called the dealer and the told me about the 4 off and on trick which seemed to work, but it happened again so I took it in. They told me that there was a new code upgrade that they would do. After I picked it up and have ridden about 2 weeks , it happened again last evening. The PROBLEM is REAL and the latest firmware didn't seem to fix it. I am very nervous, but there is nothing I can do except stop riding the bike while I continue making payments. I had only a few payments left on my Fatboy and it would have been free and clear. I should have kept it and not traded it in.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:27 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Very sad, sorry to hear. May the family find peace in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Tragic whenever this happens.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:52 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ripper, what ever happened to the wife......Did she ever say what really happened?

Old 09-25-2008, 02:56 PM
slkepple1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fairfax County police officers have complained of the same thing. They have a pretty big riding force here in NOVA. I'm sorry for your loss. RIP HAMMER, hope there are bikes in heaven, or that the wings are really fast.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Harley has had an ongoing problem with their computers for long time. How many here, when shutting down the throttle and coasting, all of a sudden have a surge that lasts for a second or so? Until I did the stage 1, it happened all the time on my '06.

I had pretty much forgot about it, until I test drove an '08 Street Glide, and it happened again as I was rounding a cloverleaf exit and slowing to a stop. The surge almost took me off the road.

That said, I've also had clutch cables on previous non-Harley bikes break at the most in-oppportune times. I've appreciated the heavy cable of the Harleys, but now read that the new '09's have a lighter clutch cable than previous years.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear this...RIP

Quick Reply: Anyone seen this ? TBW causes death