Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOUR-PAC Wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008 | 01:41 PM
Fire76wolf
|
Cruiser
Default TOUR-PAC Wiring harness

I have a 2006 Road King, I bought a tour pak off a friend. and i am looking for a wiring harness to go from my road king to the tour-pak. I have searched the internet and cant find one. Am i missing something???? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-01-2008 | 01:50 PM
HawgriderPa
Road Captain
Default RE: TOUR-PAC Wiring harness

Manual's on eBay.. I paid for mine last week

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Harley-Davi...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 04-01-2008 | 02:33 PM
Fire76wolf
|
Cruiser

I do need to get a manual too.... but does anyone know if such a thing exists??? I am being lazy arent I, I should just run up to the dealer, but i am at the Fire station today and playing on the internet LOL!!!

Old 04-01-2008 | 02:38 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Fire, in the absence of a more definitive solution,the SG, EG, and RG all have a wiring harness on the left side for TP wiring connection. Unfortunately, the RK's don't have the harness. You do have an Accessory connector located under the seat in front of the battery--look closely--it's not easy to see it. You can buy a male connector to plug into it and then run wires back to the TP's connector where you will need to attach the corresponding three-wire connector.

You can get the part numbers for the connectors from an HD parts book. It sounds much worse than it is--very simple solutions, really--though not what you would like, I'm sure, since it's definitely not "plug and play" as it was on your buddy's bike, assuming his is an EG, SG, or RG.

Alternatively, you can wire the TP by creating a harness that plugs into the upper left chamber of the tail light assembly--if you have an RK Classic or Custom, that chamber should be empty; if, however, you have an EG Standard, it will be occupied by the fender tip lamp and you can splice into that harness--thepin to the left is ground, center is brake light, and the right one is run light.

It's been a while since I checked the wiring diagrams on the '06 for a buddy's Classic, but that's what my '04 Service Manual says about the wiring on the RK's, and I had a similar issue when wiring an SG LED rear fender light. HTH.

P.S. Buy the Service Manual--this is one of those projects where it will be very helpful. Get 20% off from Zanotti's, etc.

Old 04-01-2008 | 02:41 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

Actually, you will have only three bundled wires coming out of the tour pac. Ground, brakes and lights. You will find your connector on the left side of the bike behind the rear shock.

Old 04-01-2008 | 05:15 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

On a Road King????

Old 04-01-2008 | 05:43 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

On a Road King????
Nope, not on the Road King. Had to make my own.

Old 04-01-2008 | 05:51 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Ram, what did you use to make-up the harness and where did you connect it for power?

Old 04-01-2008 | 07:41 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

Ram, what did you use to make-up the harness and where did you connect it for power?
I've added the mod to the tail turn signals which was a module under the seat back behind battery. From that module extender plugged into the rear lighting ckt. I took the three wires for (ground, run lights and brake) to my own (that I've made) wiring harness with the factory parts orded (plug, socket/pins etc...)to have the tour pac plug directly into it just like those with a bike that has an option for the factory tour pac (the plug behind the left side cover panel that a Road King does not have).

For any of those with a Road King who don't want to either cut into the harness plug at that point or don't have a pre-existing mod plug to cut into, they can go through RIDE TIME TECHNOLOGY and order a Quick Connect Accessory & Wiring Adapter, part number: RTQC-2.

This will keep you from cutting into the factory wiring since that Quick connector goes right into the tail light wiring with OEM style plugs. Has directions and is normally used to splice out light ckts for a trailer or what everadd on lights you get. All wires labled and have but splices. Nice clean set up. You can see what putting it onto my flat bed scanner to take a quick scan for you to view it. It gives you some idea what you can plug into the bike wiring and take out the wiring you need. $34.95 cost less shipping.

You could even get fancy and have your tour pac with some additional wiring, wire the side corner lights to function not only as running and brake, but blinkers too....I've got the wig-wag on mine.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4133/FB5AC83935324780AFAF139F08E2D62E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-02-2008 | 06:27 PM
TC96Man
Cruiser

Don' t buy a wiring harness, you' ll spend too much money. Go down to your stealer and spend about $5.00 and custom make it yourself, not difficult to do. I did thesame for a tour pak that I added to my '07SG. The parts are not found in the Harley catalog, they are in thestealers computer though.

Later,

JB