Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to seal slip-on to header

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:57 AM
pk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to seal slip-on to header

This last weekend I rolled the Ultra out from it's storage spot in the garage. It was parked into the sun when I bent down with a flashlight to look up the exhaust to be sure there were no critter nests in the exhaust pipes before firing the thing up. I have V&H true-duals and turndown mufflers installed. The turndowns have no baffles so I can see all the way forward. I noticed there was lots of light coming through were the header clamps to the muffler. They are bolted together as tight as I dare....how can I seal this? Will I high temp sealer work or is it too hot there for that? The distance to the clamp on the left side is only a couple of feet...how hot is it there? Thanks in advance for the ideas!

Paul

Old 04-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Pete7539
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-01-2008, 10:14 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: How to seal slip-on to header

Beer can shims.....Drink a couple of your favorite beverages, then cut rectangular shims outta the cans with a pair of sharp scissors. Put the shims between the clamp and the muffler flange. It will make the clamp grip tighter and seal the slits in the flange. I have been doing this for years to fix pesky leaks. It is a near must on an Ironhead where the pipes clamp directly to the exhasut ports on the heads. Works far better than goo in a tube.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're using the clamps that came from Vance & Hines, replace them with the OEM clamps from H-D. That and some high temp silicone sealer will fix it.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:56 AM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1 on the new HD clampsand the black High Temp gasket.Don't be affraid to crank down on those clamps.

I can also see the shims working.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:29 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member

I think the shims are a great idea, easier to get the mufflers off when you want to change.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:37 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: skltr

I think the shims are a great idea, easier to get the mufflers off when you want to change.
Exactly. On lots of bikes the muffler's gotta come off to get the axle out for tire changes.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:32 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sealer and shims are not req'd............however, correct installation is. As mentioned, use the new clamps, and make sure the muffler is fully forwarded onto the head pipe. The clamp should be at the very forward end of the muffler. Don't be afraid to CRANK DOWN HARD on the bolt/nut with a 1/2" drive ratchet or bar. My right side mufflerkept working loose until I did this, and now the issues are gone. Plus, muffler removal is a snap.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Iron Pony
Advanced

I shoved them on as far as they would go then used the HD clams and crank em down tight. I didnt need sealer after that. First I used the V&H clamps and they leaked like the EXXON Valdez.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:18 PM
RayClay
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: xcelr8

Don't be afraid to CRANK DOWN HARD on the bolt/nut with a 1/2" drive ratchet or bar.
I broke a brand new OEM clamp with 9 inch long ratchet. Not the boltbut the clamp itself. So if you do CRANK DOWN HARD, be careful its not too hard.

Quick Reply: How to seal slip-on to header