Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a friendly reminder

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:10 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a friendly reminder

To make sure you wear eye protection if your on a job that requires it...

Saturday at around 3:00 was replacing a catalytic converter on a Crown Vic and got a piece of metal stuck in my eye.. I didn't realize until I was home
and my eye began to cause problems, so here I was home by myself ( Wife and kids are on vacation at Garner State Park) so I can't see to go anywhere,
and it just snuffed my ride for Sunday... Got to the Eye Doctor today and had the metal removed and rust drilled out, and still can't see... (Painfull crap)

So I can't express it enough, wear Eye Protection.. It's not fun to have your pupil drilled out.. And the main thing, you won't get screwed out of a Sunday
Ride...!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:31 PM
Yogibear
Tourer
Default RE: Just a friendly reminder

I'm not trying to sound nasty because I really do sympathize,
but why wouldn't you have gone to an emergency room? You could have suffered permanent damage!! Your riding days could
have been over!!

I had a piece of something hit my eye years ago and had
to have it dug out. They almost had to knock me out because
everytime the doc came close to my eye, I would put up my hands. Luckily the 6 foot 6gorilla/orderly was there to "help".

Glad it all worked out man!

Dennis

Old 03-31-2008, 11:34 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

That sounds REALLY unpleasant!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:14 AM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

Good lesson to be learned here. If you are ever working on anything that may have any remote change of it coming back at you, wear that eye protection. Fortunately, my experience wasn't as bad, but it could have been...

Old 04-01-2008, 12:18 AM
thall
Road Master

had metal in my eye once also but thank god I caught it before it rusted and went to eye dr. and he took it out

Old 04-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

One advantage to wearing eye glasses is you always have a certain amount of protection. They have saved me many times in day to day life.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:29 AM
yngwie
Stage II

Here's a different one.

I can't remember what I needed from the garage, but when I saw it I bent down to get it and WHAM! I had a coat hanger in my eye. Thank God it didn't puncture it! What had happened (I guess) was my stepson had something hanging to paint it. It had dried and he took it down but neglected to take down the hanger! Emergency room!!

I know you've all heard it before, but it needs to be said again and again:
Take care of your eyes; they're the only two you've got!

Hope you're feeling better soon. It took me about three days before the pain really went away and about two or three weeks before I could see without that damned blur.

Yngwie

Old 04-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

I hear ya.

I've had metal removed from my eyes twice. Can't have MRI's anymore.

These days I direct the work a lot more than I do it but I DO wear eye protection when I'm working in my shop at home.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

At my first place of work, the entrance to the machine shop had a large display case. In it was a dummy's head, wearing a pair of safety glasses - with a broken end-milling cutter wedged in one lens.

The original wearer, a machinist in that workshop, suffered no injury, but the display served as a daily reminder to take great care and always wear suitable protection!

Old 04-01-2008, 06:36 AM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife is an eye doctor, you don't know how many times when we've been out to dinner or just hanging out that she gets the metal in the eye call. Somebody mentioned the emergency room, it's an option but just from past experience call your eye doctor first. They know exactly what to do where hospital staff can sometimes do things to make it worse. I've been in the chair with stuff in my eye and it's not pleasant (I think she pays me back for some of the dumb stuff I do). I have saftey glasses everywhere you look now, I'm always the one that says "I'm just going to weed whack this little area, what could possibly happen" WHAM! right in the eye.

Quick Reply: Just a friendly reminder