Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocating to west coast - Anyone ever shipped their bike as Household Goods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:44 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Relocating to west coast - Anyone ever shipped their bike as Household Goods?

In a few weeks I'll be relocating from the east coast to the west coast (a few hours east of Seattle). United Van Lines. Plan to ship my 04 Road King Custom with the moving company.

Planning to pull the windshield, backrests, luggage rack, and the saddlebags off before loading the bike, and having these items packed separately. It's arranged under a 'high value inventory' contract with the local agent.

Anyoneon the boarddone this, and if so, any input?

Thanks,

Doc

Old 03-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Relocating to west coast - Anyone ever shipped their bike as Household Goods?

Never done it myself but based on watching the moving company guys across the street handle their loads I'd be a little leery.

Input? If it was me I'd crate it up at the very least and make sure someones' insurance will cover any loss or damage.

Sincerely wish you good luck on the move, relocation and lifestyle changes from the right coast to the left,

Primo from So Cal

Old 03-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Relocating to west coast - Anyone ever shipped their bike as Household Goods?

How are you getting there? why not tow it yourself, much safer

Old 03-31-2008, 06:02 PM
profinish
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you flippin' crazy?

Old 03-31-2008, 06:12 PM
abadsarge
Novice

Did it one time when the army moved me from nc to la. It was the last thing he put in his truck. I already had a house lined up in la so it was straight house to house. He secured it very well. then draped in the packing blankets. I drove straight thru and beat him there. They showed up a couple of days later and it was the first thing off the truck. No damage what so ever. Since then however i bought a truck and move my bike ever since then myself. I will be in your shoes here shortly when then send me to europe. Just get extra insurance.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:19 PM
jahays32
Tourer

Just shipped my sons bike to dallas with united. It arrived safe. If it is going to stay on same truck that is safer. If they are going to switch it to another truck then you want to make sure it is on the long pallet and not a short one or the fork lifts have been known to ram the tail lights out on EG's.

Good Luck

Old 03-31-2008, 06:28 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

Try Fed Ex I know they ship bikes. But if you have the time ride it.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:44 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member

Allied shipped mine cross country on a long pallet with the household goods. Didn't remove anything, not a scratch. The driver was a biker and knew what he was doing. It was also door to door, no transfers.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:11 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm sure they won't transport it with fuel in the tank (?)

Motorcycle shipping.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:02 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may be off base but isn't gas vapor much more volitile than liquid gas? It seems a full tank would be safer than an empty one.

Quick Reply: Relocating to west coast - Anyone ever shipped their bike as Household Goods?