Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocating to west coast - Anyone ever shipped their bike as Household Goods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:10 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Relocating to west coast - Anyone ever shipped their bike as Household Goods?

Courage is correct - which is why a separate 'high value inventory' contract is preferable - it offers additional insurance (at a cost).

Other questions -
* Riding - it's the last couple weeks in April. Snow is possible in the Rockies, heavy rains and storms are not out of the question. I only have a certain number of days to relocate - no time to be holing up in a hotel waiting for weather to clear. Time crunch is driving many decisions.

* I'm driving a cargo van filled with stuff the moving company won't touch - guns, ammunition, explosives, cylinders with compressed gas, etc. If I can shipthe bikesafely, this makes more sense: The van isn't set up for towing and it would require some significant ching to install a tow package and buy a trailer. About what it costs to ship the bike...and my company is paying the cost of shipping the bike. (But they wouldn't pay to install a tow package on my van and buy me a trailer........)

* As some of you reported, lots of military guys have shipped their bikes from post to post - their options are limited. When I was in the Marines I shipped cars with moving companies, but never bikes. A number of guys have apparently shipped their bikes and its worked well for them. Some pre-preparation seems to be the key...

Jeffrey98337 - I'm relocating to the Tri-cities just east of Yakima.

1Harleyrdr - Thanks for the excellent ideas.

jahays32 - Yes, (to the best of my knowledge) it's staying on the same truck - not switching loads along the way.

BIGBADCANE - Appreciate this, I'll call the dealer tomorrow to see if I can get a shipping crate from him for a recently delivered bike. I was going to ensure I had a new one anyway, but one from the dealer makes sense. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks to all of you guys for replying. You guys are awesome, and this site is invaluable for all the experience (either way) available from you guys.

I appreciate everyone's comments.

Doc

Old 04-01-2008, 01:00 AM
rgardjr
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Relocating to west coast - Anyone ever shipped their bike as Household Goods?

ORIGINAL: Doc Intrepid

Jeffrey98337 - I'm relocating to the Tri-cities just east of Yakima.

Doc
I'm a couple hours east of you in Spokane. Hope your bike has a safe trip out here!

Old 04-01-2008, 01:53 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes. When I returned from Germany, I shipped my bike along with my household goods. I had to drain the tank, and TOLD them I drained the other fluids also.........

On one side was my couch, cushions, pillow, blankets, etc. Then the bike in the middle, with like 4 of those padded blankets over it. On the other side, was the recliner, footstool, and other soft household items. It made the trip to Iowa w/o a scratch. These were Germans that packed it for me.

Now...the AMERICAN moving company that packed it for the trip Back to Germany 2 years later, wasn't nearly so concerned with it's safe packing, and I wasn't there to supervise the packing. The leaned it right up against the side of the shipping crate, and secured it to the wall. Cost nearly $1000 bux to get the tank and part of fairing repainted.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:02 AM
matthewthamm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SHipped my bike from Chicago to Las Vegas. Used the HOG shipping company.
I drove the bike on to the motorcycle pallet, and watched the four point tie down.
The pallet was covered with a plywood cover. The person who inspected the loading was a biker, this helped, knwe what he was looking for.
At the receiveing end, took the straps off myself, and drove it off.
No issues, no problems, Would do again

Matt Hamm
'04 Ultra

Old 04-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would only do it if their insurance covered everything on the bike with zero deductable. If so, I would take a hundred pictures and have them sign their is no damage at all to the bike before they ever touch it.

When I moved to Southern California from Michigan, my company had a bike transportation company come and pick it up for me. It didn't go with my household goods.

That being said- even they damaged my bike. They loaded it on the pallet and then moved the pallet onto a local delivery truck (smaller truck to get into the neighborhood) and they put the pallet up next to a metal brace that ran across the truck. Needless to say the front fender had a huge dent in it and had to be replaced. They covered 100% of the costs and had a new fender on the scoot in a week.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:39 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I shipped my old Sportster during a Military move. The Bike arrived without a scratch but my washer and dryer were smashed. I ended up getting a check for them. I don't remember which company is was.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:42 PM
old.gezr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Doc, hope you have a good RAIN SUIT to ward off that Washington sunshine!!!!! Good luck and welcome to the West Coast.