Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocating to west coast - Anyone ever shipped their bike as Household Goods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:25 PM
jeffrey98837
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Relocating to west coast - Anyone ever shipped their bike as Household Goods?

Where are you moving to? I am a few hours east of Seattle myself.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:25 PM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain
Default RE: Relocating to west coast - Anyone ever shipped their bike as Household Goods?

I shipped my bike from alaska to Texas.
This is what I did to ensure it got there safe
if you are in the army ask the transportation manager to come watch them load it

1. Bought my own Tie downs and handle bar straps 8 tie down total, let the packers take them from new package (video taped it)
2. Leave the soft bags on it if you have them if it falls it will cushion the fall.
3. Bought my own New bike cover and 2 very large rolls of bubble wrap I filled the crate to the MAX
4. Drained the tank but left fuel in the lines to ease starting on arrival very little stabil in the tank
5. I video taped the crate and the packing
6. I took about 50 photos of the bike while the movers were there to make sure they understand HANDLE WITH CARE
7. I contacted my insurance while they were standing there and gave them shippers information and names of driver and crew & load #
8. I also made them bring a new crate I did not like the looks ofthe first oneit was old looking and had broken pieces on it
9. I contacted the shippers office on the other end and told them it was a "show bike". Exagerate the price if you want to
10. Oh Make sure it is very clean and waxed
11. ask the shipper to shrink wrap it for you at the earliest time possible or you can buy it and shrink it with a heat gun if you want too

When My bike arrived in texas it had gotten shrink wrapped and was Just like when they packed it away. They placed a tracker on the container too. I think United van lines moved it for me. It travled the ALCAN hwy and was fine.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:06 PM
BIGBADCANE
Advanced

Did you get the pallet from the dealer that the bike was shipped on? If not, go to your dealer and ask them for it, worst case they charge you $50 for it. Put the bike on the original shiiping pallet and strap it down, no need to take anything off the bike, it will make it just fine. I shipped both of my bikes fromt the US to Korea and back with no issues. Just another way to get it done.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 PM
jayc
Novice

Moved from Massachusetts to Oregon 14 years ago. United Van Lines moved my household goods as well as my Sportster. I got a little nervous when he wedged it up against my stuff, with the kickstand up. It came across country with no damage. The only problem was that the driver forgot that he had my keys. It took another 2 weeks to get them back. Fortunately, I kept an extra set with me, just in case they got lost. My one piece of advice to you if you do this, is do a full before and after inspection with pictures. This way if something does happen you've got a valid claim.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:16 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Disconnect the ground. Years ago a friend had his bike moved with his household goods and everything was in temporary storage until he got a house. He had drained the fuel and for one reason or another also drained the oil. When he got the bike the engine was frozen. He assumed that some yokel tried to start it with the electric start and no oil. He never was able to collect on it. Fortunately, it was not a Harley; a Yamaha I think. [8D]

Old 03-31-2008, 09:24 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the H.O.G site.

They have several shippers they recommend, some with HOG discounts.

Steve

Old 03-31-2008, 09:29 PM
NOVA06SG
Novice

My last move I had the movers ship my 911 inside at the tail end of the truck, arrived without a problem.
Looking to move this summer from VA to N.cal and will ship my SG with the movers, they have insurance and if there is a problem they take care of it.
Happy trails!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had mine moved by movers 20 years ago. As I recall they had me drain the tank and remove the battery which I carried with me in the car. They placed it on the truck last, covered it in blankets and let me help them make sure it was strapped down correctly. It arrived just like it left in good condition. They are responsible for any damage anyway so I wouldn't sweat it.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:08 PM
courage
Intermediate

Had my wifes sports bike moved with the military by Wheaton Van Lines. NEVER AGAIN. I only had room for the HD in the back of the truck. They did $2600 worth of damage to her bike (obviously it was a lot of plastic replacement).

If you are going to do it...... get your own pallet/ crate. Tie the bike down on the pallet/ crate. Build a frame from 1x4 around it and then staple cardboard to keep anything from falling on it. I would also put some moving blankets in the crate just in case one of the straps holding the bike down comes loose. Sometimes the movers will switch trucks or warehouse the goods, that is usually when the items get damaged. OR when something shifts and an item is rubbing on the bike for a few thousand miles.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:14 PM
courage
Intermediate

dstockton,

Not all damages are covered by the movers. A LOT OF MOVERS will only cover X amount of damage per pound unless you buy extra coverage. I think the average is $.40-$.60 on the pound. So on a 800 lb bike they would only cover $320-$480 worth of damage. Sometimes they do it on the entire load. Say they already hit the limit of damage on other items... you could be SOL on the bike damage, and would probably have to try and claim with the insurance company.

Quick Reply: Relocating to west coast - Anyone ever shipped their bike as Household Goods?