Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:32 AM
rfp1954
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail of the Dragon

Hello everyone,
Just got back from a great trip on thebike.
Left snowy Chicago on Friday 3/20withmy bike in the back of my F150 and also towinga 6 X 12 trailer heading to Bluffton, SCwhich is just north of Savannah GA to see my son. Just outside ofLouisville I unloaded my bike and started to ride. It felt great to finally be riding after long days here in Chicago.The mountains of Tennessee are just breath taking. Rode to Knoxville and spent the night.
Got up Sat morning to ride the Tail of the Dragon. What can I say. It was a gas.The road isfun and demanding. You have to pay attention or you will have problems. But it not as fearsome as some may makeit to be. I was lucky to do itaround 10:00 am before the rockets came to run it.I would recommend this ride to any one that can there. It's justnot the Tail but all the other roads that are in this area.
Got to Blufton SC Sat night. Spent Sunday with my son and the rest of may family who was traveling in the truck.
Mondayleft Blufton, SC and headed to DisneyWorld. My family went in the truck androde my bike.I did aside trip to see friends in Glennvill, GA and met up with them at the end of the day at the hotel in Disney World.
Spent Tuesday and Wednesday at Disney World. I best ride in theplace was still my bike in the hotel parking lot.
Thursday we headed back to towards Bluffton.Went to the Daytona500 track and did the tour. Neat place. Then we traveled along the ocean on A1A to St. Augustine.That was great. Got to takethe bike on a rode that goesalong the ocean on the beach. Finally headed inland at Jacksonville and made it back to Bluffton.
Friday we chilled out a little. Went to Hilton Head and slepton the beach for a while. Went to a nice place called the11th Street Dock Side for dinner. Finally had some seafood. Clams,Oysters and beer.
The weather all the time was great. No rain.
Saturday, we left my son and headed home to Chicago. I rode to Columbia and the weather had changed. Started to rain so I loaded my bike in the trailer.Finally got off of my bike. I figure about1500 of pure fun and relaxation.
But I made a mistake. Heading back I wanted to show my family some ofthe roads I was on. You see when they leftKnoxville on the way down they went a different way. They went thru the Smokey Mountains down thruGatlinburg. But I made a mistake and it turns out that I had to drive the Tail of the Dragon with my F150 towing a 6 X 12 trailer. 311 turns in 11 miles. Much harder with a truck and trailer. Raining and truck with trailer is no fun. But you what I did it.
So I got to ride the Dragon twice,1st time going south on my bike and 2nd time going north with my truck and trailer.
Much of the infor for this trip was by reading thiswebsite and all of the great information everyone has. I met some truly great and interseting people on this trip. There is a bonded with bikers and Harley people that goes beyond words.Stopped at alot dealers and got a chance to seejust wonderful country. I am proud to be an American and ride a Harley. I love my bike. I don't think I would tradeitfor any other make or model. It carried me with pride and not a hic up.
God Bless America.
Thanks

Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 AM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Tail of the Dragon

Ah nutin like a bike, now is there?

Old 03-31-2008, 12:51 PM
stimul8ing guy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the dragon never gets boring!!!!

Old 03-31-2008, 04:08 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master

RFP you are what us Southerners call a good Yankee!
You came down and enjoyed the scenery, hillbilly highways and such and then took your butt back home.
Contrary to popular belief we actually like y'all, it's the ones we call Damn Yankees that come on down for a spell and end up staying we could do without!
Now that you have had a taste of it you could of course possibly be a "FDY" or future damn yankee.

Just funnin you bro, glad you had a fun trip and the weather to go with it.

Next time you decide to make this run give us a shout, wife and I are always looking for excuse to run up to the area around the Dragon. But then again we are much closer to some really good roads in North Georgia and Hotlanta Hospitality!

Old 03-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Lroberts4
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you had a great time, we are heading there the 1st week of June - can hardly wait (wife actually is counting down already).

Old 03-31-2008, 04:22 PM
hdwd2000
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a great trip to me.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Xtreme Hawg
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for sharing your great ride with us Robert. I love to ride the Dragon and look forward to every fall when we make the trip to the smokies on our bikes. As postedabove by Gary, "The Dragon never Gets Boring!!!", he's right, it's an adventure and fun to ride no matter how many time you get to do it. Once again thanks for sharing and if you have any pics of your trip we'd love to see them... "D"

Old 03-31-2008, 04:42 PM
jakester
Tourer

GOD BLESS AMERICA...

Could not of said it BETTER....

Sounds like a great time....RIDE ON!!!!!!

JAKESTER.TIM.....[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 03-31-2008, 05:04 PM
Ogre
Intermediate

I am leaving Wednesday for the Dragon. I am meeting with some friends in North Georgia and hitting the Dragon on Friday. This is my first trip there.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:16 PM
real7jake
Tourer

I'm gonna head that way the last weekend of May for a solo retreat

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon