Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one using gps from lighter socket ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:05 AM
carlosgtn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one using gps from lighter socket ?

I got the Garmin Zumo 450, but dont think I want to hot wire the power to the bike. Has any body run a GPS unit just but connecting it to the lighter socket? Any probles with vibration or water getting to it? And what would bethe best lighter plug to use ? I was thinking Radio Shack.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:10 AM
SilverDawg
Road Captain
Default RE: Any one using gps from lighter socket ?

Carlos,

I run my Zumo 550 through the lighter outlet, and have it mounted with a Techmount system. No vibrations or issues at all.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:22 AM
captsam54
Road Master

Me too... Funny, mine won't get hot to light a cigar but powers the GPS...

Old 03-31-2008, 11:26 AM
capt42a
Road Master

I used a male cigarette lighter from Radio Shack and it works great with my Zumo 450. I bought the lighter plug with the rocker switch so I could turn the power off without unplugging it from the cigarette lighter power outlet. I soldered and shrink wrapped my connections to the Radio Shack cigarette lighter power power plug. I have some pictures of my set up on my home computerbut don't know how to post them on the forum and I'm at my work computer. I'd be glad to e-mail you the pictures tonight after work if you'll e-mail me at truck5c@aeneas.net
capt42a

Old 03-31-2008, 11:48 AM
rahall
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went through this.

Get the cheap one at Radio Shack.

You push the positive and negative buttons on the outside, slide the bare end of the wires in the 12v plug, and let the button go.

There are no screws and I had no problems at all while using the Radio Shack 12v plug.

However, this past weekend I hardwired it to the Ultra.

This was also a snap and I like it alot better.

Right where your headlight plugs in are factory plug points for positive (orange/white) and negative (black).

I tied my Zumo 550in there.

I also bought a 6' audio cable with 90 degree male ends on eBay for $1.99.

While I had the fairing off, I ran the audio in the left side, through the fairing, and out the right side to the aux on the CD/radio.

It looks real good and it was cheap/easy to do.

Either way you will like the Zumo.

I have explored new roads and routes because of the Zumo with no fear of getting lost.

It's great.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:01 PM
easyonmenow
Cruiser

I changed my cig lighter to power point. I don't use the cig lighter and the power point comes with a cover. I'm thinking of adding another outlet for the cell phone as well. Works for me.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:08 PM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my Magellan 2200T with the cig outlet in the fairing. Since I only use the GPS on long runs, I didnt want the cord just hanging outside of the fairing. I have a rammount on the bars with a short 3" extension. Works well and a nice clean look. Best part I can remove the rammount (except) the mounting ball in a snap.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:10 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Iadded a second outlet ($5.00 from NAPA) on the inside of the fairing. Spliced into the existing lighter wires so it would work with power on or accessory on.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:49 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stro1965

Iadded a second outlet ($5.00 from NAPA) on the inside of the fairing. Spliced into the existing lighter wires so it would work with power on or accessory on.
I did this also but got mine from a marine store thinking it would stand up to the elements better.The original lighter isswitched to the ignitionswitch so it's turns off with the bike.Use one for the Garmin, the other for my Sirius receiver.

I rub a little electric grease in mine about once a year to fight corrosion.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:54 PM
DvlDog
Intermediate

I've been using the Radio Shack lighter adapter with my Ram Mount and Garmin GPS for two years with no problems. I too like the fact that I can take everything except the ball mount off when not using my GPS. A three foot audio cable connects the GPS to the aux port on the radio and a couple of short pieces of velcro keep the cables under control.

Quick Reply: Any one using gps from lighter socket ?