Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aging evo

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Hanoverfiste
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default aging evo

I have recently bought a 93 EG with 74000 miles on it.. it runs strong and sounds great. What are some things I should look at changing out or have looked at, I plan on doing some long hauls with it this year.. I have never had a bike with this many miles on it..

Old 03-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: aging evo

Sounds like you got a good one. Of course the obvious stuff like make sure the drive belt is in good shape, battery, tires, make sure things are all adjusted as they should be. As you ride it you'll know if it's using oil, etc. If it pulls strong and runswell then you're good to go I dare say.

As always have a cell phone and AAA membership for your trips and you'll have no worries.

My '05 has 73,000 on it right now and has never run better.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Hanoverfiste
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank for the info, I am going to take it in and have the wheel bearing replaces with some good aftermarket bearings, I will do some research to see whats the best.. someone recommended the inner cam bearing to be replaced as the factory one is very weak, I will also ask the dealer, if they can pull all the work that HD has done to the bike, not sure if they can do such a thing, I was told this bike has had all the work done at the HD dealership where it came from... that will be helpful if I can get the list..

Old 03-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hanoverfiste

Thank for the info, I am going to take it in and have the wheel bearing replaces with some good aftermarket bearings, I will do some research to see whats the best.. someone recommended the inner cam bearing to be replaced as the factory one is very weak, I will also ask the dealer, if they can pull all the work that HD has done to the bike, not sure if they can do such a thing, I was told this bike has had all the work done at the HD dealership where it came from... that will be helpful if I can get the list..
The single most important thing you can do is verify that the INA cam bearing has been changed to a Torrington. If you can't verify that it has been done, just spend the money & change the bearing now. The wheel bearings aren't a problem. Timken bearings are just fine, but should be cleaned & packed with each tire change. If you just want to spend money on 'em you should be able to find some sealed bearings, but it won't save you much maintenance time.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:48 PM
ggreenetx
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure and check that all the bolts and screws are tight. Also check your cables to make sure they are in good shape. I bought my 90 Heritage Classic about 6 months ago and it had not been ridden in about 5 years. I have had to replace quite a few items due to it sitting for so long. If yours has been ridden quite a bit the seller should have kept up with repairs, but it's always better to be safe than sorry. Also make sure the tires are in good shape. Also I would have them check your electrical items. I have replaced one of the battery cables and also have replaced the coil and ignition module. Just a very careful going over of the bike and have the shop give it a good look over and you should be in good shape.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:58 PM
gottaguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

inspect the swingarm bearings. with that mileage i'd replace them if they haven't been done in 25K

Old 03-31-2008, 04:01 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts

No need for aftermarket wheel bearings. Slap new tires on wheels, balance themand repack the bearings you have, check the endplay per the manual and replace the seals. Easy to do and cheap.
Replace front and rear brake pads, bleed both brakes. Replace fork, tranny, primary and engine oils. Pull petcock from tank, clean and inspect/reassemble.Replace or recharge airfilter depending on what type you have. Replace and Gap sparkplugs, check wiring harness for any frayed, pinched or corroded wires/connectors.
Replace top and front motormount, cheap and easy to do. If you are not comfortable doing a lot of serious wrenching, have a shop replace the inner cam bearing with a torrington, both lifters and redo the base,head and rocker box gaskets if any are leaking.

Just did all of this on my buddies 90 eglide that he just picked up with 65k on it. Got it done with one long Saturday and a fewhours on some weeknights. We scoped it out and picked it up for 5k cash, after I put in the retro radio kit from biketronics he'll be in it for less than another 1k and we'll be ready for our Canada trip.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

95 Evo with 144k on her. Runs fine but has been maintained religously. New cam and cam bearings, new lifters, adjustible push rods, new carb, coil, really just the usual amintenance items. Have your shop go over the bike really well and do what they say. Then ride her.

Bubba

Old 03-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the swing arm for cracks too.