Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 06:17 AM
wannett
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high idle

riding my new roadking the other day only got 1000 miles on the clock it was a stinking hot day every time i had to stop at lights ect. the revs picked up, rang my dealer and asked why, he's explanation was to keep the motor oil cool ??? and it will improve the more miles i do,is this right?

Old 03-31-2008, 06:23 AM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: high idle

I'm not a mechanic but I seriously doubt if there's any interface between the oil temperature and the fuel injection/idle control computer thingamajig. Dealer is just hoping to keep you off his back for awhile.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:46 AM
Stryke1
Cruiser

The same thing happened to me last month when I rented an Ultra Classic in Florida. After riding 2 lane roads most of the day I got into some stop and gotraffic. Each time I stopped, the engine would idle around 1500 RPM's. I told the dealer about this when I got back and he said basically the same thing. It was some feature built in to protect the engine when it gets hot. He said that he got a lot of complaints about that when he rented bikes during bike week. I thought it was unusual since I didn't think it was all that hot out. 80º tops. Last year I rented an '07 Ultra and it was a lot hotter and I didn't experience this high idle. I also had not heard about this before so I was skeptical of what the dealer was telling me. Is this maybe one of the features of the download that would eventually shut down one of the cylinders if it got toohot?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:14 AM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm assuming this is an '08? There's a whole thread on this TBW issue. Seems like a problem.

BTW there's a thread on another site that tells of a biker down in Texas who crashed and died over the weekend due to his TBW would unexpectedly go to 100% WOT for no reason. It happened to him previously and he was able to contol it and shut it down. Supposedly his dealer "fixed" it, and he was riding with his wife and wrecked in a corner. She's critical, he was DOA. Just passin the info along, not tryin to cause a panic, but I prefer MY throttle to have a real cable attached.

Check out HTT.
http://groups.msn.com/harleytechtalk...66856427787663

Old 03-31-2008, 02:18 PM
notarheli
Cruiser

I have had this issue off and on. It is not heat related, at least in my case.
Example: Been cruising at 55mph or so, exit the freeway and when I pull the clutch in while aproaching the light, it will idle at 1500 until I come to a complete stop. Then it goes to 1000.

You mention about this guy who's throttle went WFO. Well, I have that type issue (not WFO but still power on)when, say as in my example, I come to a yield sign and traffic is such that I can continue without stopping. Guess what, since the idle doesn't drop to 1000, it actually powers me through the turn. I have to pull in the clutch to control the speed through the turn. If I don't, the higher throttle makes me turn wider.

To make sure, I verified the cables were not hanging up. It is something in the fuel management system.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:15 PM
DrBob81
Cruiser

2 ideas from the other posts: turn off the eitms by the owners manualpg 140 or reset the ecm from the service manual (turn it on then off wait 10 sec, repeat 3 times.