Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

california riders question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:12 AM
wydopn231
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default california riders question

If any are riders in califorina.Ive heard the law enforecement a___holes are pretty up tight about helment crap.How much hassle on the dot helments there.Live in NC they made big deal first of year but noone I knows gotten poped yet for non dot helmet.Im riding to california In may and wanted to check.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:17 AM
jcfolsom
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: california riders question

I don't know anyone who has been cited for a helmet. I guess it all depends on attitude. Are you planning on being an a$$hole. If you are, break out the wallet.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:36 AM
speedneeder
Advanced

I wouldnt be conerned in any way. I've had one ticket since the law passed.By abike cop no less. Had nothing to do with attitude either. Been pulled over for bars and pipes though and left with a warning. Still not worth worrying over. As long as your here to just visit you will be just fine.. Otherwise its really really tough on bikes. AHH.. tough on cars too, and its pretty run down.[8D]

Old 03-30-2008, 11:54 AM
SloChicken
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear a non-dot carbon half lid and do not have any problems.
I did just buy a 3/4 helmet due to the fact that I treat my share of m/c riders and thought it would be prudent to wear a real helmet.
still have a hard time wearing it though ...

Old 03-30-2008, 12:01 PM
vibr8ir
Cruiser

prob. w/ the helmet issue,, the police are not trained to tell if the helmet meets standards..
stickers are removed/ tags are removed so how would a LEO know?? never had a prob. and I wear a non-dot baenie..
Oh get ready to split lanes too it's legal here and it's a way of life if you want to get anywhere.
Good luck ride safe Steve

Old 03-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Facetious1
Advanced

OHHHH DOnt worry so much about the coppers... as much as the roads!!! I am not sure about southern cal, but I am in Sacramento... and these are the worst roads over the whole USA!!! (These are even worse than Oklahoma!)--- They wait until you are driving on gravel to even think about repairing these suckers.... We pay one of the highest taxes accross the USA... yet no road work, they are laying off police (thus less of a worry for DOT citations), fireworkers and teachers... go figure.

Especially watch on the I80 from reno over Taho... once you hit the state line... the road is night and day.... huge 3-4 inch ruts.... Be safe and stay in fast lane.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:38 PM
larry5601
Cruiser

A friend of mine got pulled over for his pipes. He got a ticket for the helmet at the same time. A lot of people I know wear non DOT helmets and I only know of one ticket. It is not that big of a risk at least in Ornage county.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:45 PM
nsodpty52
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jcfolsom

I don't know anyone who has been cited for a helmet. I guess it all depends on attitude. Are you planning on being an a$$hole. If you are, break out the wallet.
Ya what he says, just ride and don't worry about it unless you have a huge load of crank in your keyster then get a full face.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Bluerose

I always wonder why you would risk it. The law says DOT. If your riding across the US you will go through several states with the same laws. If you ride with a non-dot and you get pulled...pay the ticket.

That being said unless your being a butt head theyusually won't pull you for a helmet unless it's really obvious.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:53 PM
speedneeder
Advanced

the law also say 65 mph...[8D]

Quick Reply: california riders question