Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

california riders question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:30 PM
harleykris
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: california riders question

I've been riding for many years and don't feel comfortable without a helmet. One time down was enough of a lesson for me. I live in So Cal, and no, it's not illegal to split lanes here. Watch the roads, they're gettin pretty bad. I wouldn't worry too much about the helmet law, but don't go without one. I'd say in most cases if you get stopped, you probably deserve it. Don't draw attention to yourself. I've lived here my entire life and have never been pulled over for something I wasn't guilty of. As far as cops being a__holes, I just gotta say, ya, there's a bad one in every bunch, but doesn't that apply to us all?

Old 03-30-2008, 06:56 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I have never lived in Cali, but I have friends and family scattered from Banning to L.A. down to S.D. I visit more than I really want to because when I say family, I really mean in-laws....

Anyway, leos have always treated me very well there. They know right away that I am not one of them and am trying to do the right thing, it's just that if your not from there, figuring out what is right, what is legal and what is normal can be a little confusing...............

Just behave yourself and you'll be fine, just like most of the rest of this great country. When you screw up, like we all do once in awhile, own up to it and pay your fine. Don't blame it on an a--hole cop who wrote you a ticket for breaking the law.

Dennis

Old 03-30-2008, 07:06 PM
wydopn231
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man hole paragraph and seems biggest thing picked up on was the a___hole cops comment didnt mean anyhting specail just not big fan of cops no matter what state it is.met few decent ones to go along with few hundered others.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:49 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

I like cops. Never had a problem with one . . . well except for when it was (MY) problem.
Who knows, one may save my life one day.

Now if you want a rant . . . get me started on the "Geek Squad"

Old 03-30-2008, 08:19 PM
nsodpty52
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: stro1965

ORIGINAL: speedneeder

Stro- Dont ya know its ALL about your bretheren. I assume there is more incentive on your side to comply with laws based on your occupation. Heck, I would have complied years ago just based on the amount of money I would have saved on donuts. Just messing around so dont take it too serious. except the donut part.
OK, I'll admit...I DO enjoy a donut now and then!! (But seriously, who doesn't??)
Stro you gotta get with times my leo brother its latte's and scones now not coffee and donuts haha. (I like donuts too but refuse to buy them in case someone recognizes me in the donut shop!)

Old 03-31-2008, 02:20 AM
jamminjim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lane splitting IS illegal in California. Lane sharing is not. If a cop ever pulls you over and says anything about splitting lanes tellhim NO I was sharing a lane. 2 bikes can ride side by side because they are sharing a lane.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: stro1965

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

I always wonder why you would risk it. The law says DOT. If your riding across the US you will go through several states with the same laws. If you ride with a non-dot and you get pulled...pay the ticket.

That being said unless your being a butt head theyusually won't pull you for a helmet unless it's really obvious.

Law apparently has nothing to do with it. It must beall about the a__hole law enforcement. I'm against helmet laws. Hate 'em in fact. But I wear a DOT where helmets are required.
I would likely be an on again off again helmet wearer if it wasn't law....

Rush hour traffic is the most dangerous place I ride so I am always in full gear. Oh and National parks...they can be deadly (stupid RV renters don't stayin thier lane!). But some recreational riding I would likely skip it. I do the same with my jackets..most days yes...some no.

I figure if I have to wear one I might as well get the full benefit of it though.

Hate nanny laws. Amazing how many people managed to live through childhood by having common sense...now you don't need common sense because the government is dictating it.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jamminjim

Lane splitting IS illegal in California. Lane sharing is not. If a cop ever pulls you over and says anything about splitting lanes tellhim NO I was sharing a lane. 2 bikes can ride side by side because they are sharing a lane.
Thanks, but I'll take the CHP's advice over yours on this one!
From the CHP website:

"Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner."

Old 03-31-2008, 01:51 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: wydopn231

If any are riders in califorina.Ive heard the law enforecement a___holes are pretty up tight about helment crap.How much hassle on the dot helments there.Live in NC they made big deal first of year but noone I knows gotten poped yet for non dot helmet.Im riding to california In may and wanted to check.
Personally the way I look at if you don't act like a A-Hole you won't have any problems. Don't like wearing DOT helmets stay home, also around the Beach areas they also enforce noise abatement laws too. There is a lot of great riders and cops in this state.

Not affiated with law enforcement JMHO.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:18 AM
wydopn231
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i guess the founder fathers should have just paid the taxes england enacted on us.Seems funny don t it a free country where your free to pursue happiness(as long as not harming others) and wearing hemet makes me very unhappy.seems we are to stupid to know rather to wear our helmet while going to work to make money to pay the ones who know whats best for us.

Quick Reply: california riders question