Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

california riders question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:02 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts
Default RE: california riders question

The only one I can think of, is a bunch of us made a left out of a gas station (No one saw the NO LEFT TURN sign . . . ha ha !! The few that had just totally non DOT helmets got tickets, but that was it.

One guy did fight it (retired-had time) because the sign really wasn't very visable. He took pics, brought em to court w/his helmet. The judge dismissed it. Prob thought the whole deal was CS.

If you get stopped for something else, you "might" get a helmet ticket . . . maybe. Most CHP's and SJ cops are pretty cool. Like anyone else, they just hate attitude.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:02 PM
rkadair
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not in a school zone

ORIGINAL: speedneeder

the law also say 65 mph...[8D]

Old 03-30-2008, 01:06 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

I always wonder why you would risk it. The law says DOT. If your riding across the US you will go through several states with the same laws. If you ride with a non-dot and you get pulled...pay the ticket.

That being said unless your being a butt head theyusually won't pull you for a helmet unless it's really obvious.

Law apparently has nothing to do with it. It must beall about the a__hole law enforcement. I'm against helmet laws. Hate 'em in fact. But I wear a DOT where helmets are required.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:16 PM
speedneeder
Advanced

Stro- Dont ya know its ALL about your bretheren. I assume there is more incentive on your side to comply with laws based on your occupation. Heck, I would have complied years ago just based on the amount of money I would have saved on donuts. Just messing around so dont take it too serious. except the donut part.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:48 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

ORIGINAL: speedneeder

Stro- Dont ya know its ALL about your bretheren. I assume there is more incentive on your side to comply with laws based on your occupation. Heck, I would have complied years ago just based on the amount of money I would have saved on donuts. Just messing around so dont take it too serious. except the donut part.
OK, I'll admit...I DO enjoy a donut now and then!! (But seriously, who doesn't??)

Old 03-30-2008, 03:00 PM
wydopn231
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok thinks.Ill dbl check the lane splitting to mkae shure its not a joke.I do it all the time hear but then I have full list of good(very good)lawyers too.Thanks for heads up on roads Ill pack some extra but padding.Oh yea was trying to loose osme of that.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:39 PM
speedneeder
Advanced

No joking on the lane splitting. Legal. No need to bring your team of lawyers, not sure they would do you any good in Cali. Plus, we have plenty around here that would take your money should you want to use them to fight a traffic citation .

Old 03-30-2008, 05:47 PM
G Funk
Cruiser

lane splitting is legal, but if you get stuck in some of our famous traffic jams, Bay Area-LA, you might wanna wear a DOT full faced helmets![sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 03-30-2008, 06:09 PM
SCRider
Cruiser

Lane splitting in Ca is just "not illegal", leaving it Up to individual officers to determine if you are unsafe.
I have three friends that were stopped for not wear DOT helmets. All were riding by themselves. One friend was asked where he purchased the helmet (his helmet did not have the "this is only a toy sticker"). He told the officer it was a gift. The officer let him go with a warning.

I was told later that if he had said he purchased the helmet (instead if saying it was a gift) it would have been a violation.

Personally I hate being forced to wear helmets, but since I do, might as well wear something that will keep my brains in should I hit a curb.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:21 PM
speedneeder
Advanced

I suppose since its not specificallyillegal it would be considered legal. FYI, You can be cited for any unsafe riding or driving whether or not its a specifically in legal code. Its a generic code. In other words if you are doing 50 in stopped traffic while splitting lanes it may be considered unsafe. Common sense. Also where you bought the helmet or whether or not its a gift has no basis and I imagine LE was just being cool.

I tried telling the cop the bike was a gift when pulled over for noise. Same thing with that bag of goodies.. didnt work.

Quick Reply: california riders question