Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little confused

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:16 AM
Carmell RKC
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A little confused

Okay all, Ive been reading every thread about all the issues with properly tuning the 06 touring bikes after modifying the exhaust and intake. This weekend I purchased the V&H Oval slip-ons and the Stage 1 A/C and have installed them and now am faced with the ever present question, HD download vs. SERT vs. PCIII What I cant understand is why my dealer is so convinced that the HD download will be and adequit fix for the lean condition that I have now due to the recent mods. My funds are limited and Im not sure I can absorb the cost of the SERT right now, but really want to ride with confidence that Im not screwing it up with the HD download. Im not looking for huge performance gains, I just wanted her to breathe a little easier. Also something Im not seeing much of is the V&H Fuelpak feedback, it seems like a pretty simple plug and play add on. Any insight would help, thanks, Rob.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:21 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: A little confused

try and go with the sert. I learned it the hard way. download, pc3, decell popping never stopped until i got the sert. spend a couple hundred more now and save 3-400 later.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:28 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

You will not be happy with the download. The harley download is designed to be used with the ac upgrade only. It still has to fall within EPA guidlines which your bike won't with the pipes. You will still be lean and you will have decel pops and backfires unless you install the SERT. I wish I had better news for you. I can't believe there are still dealers out there that recommend the download. You can give it a try if you want but you will be throwing away whatever they charge you for the download.

Read This: Tuning The EFI Bikes

Old 02-07-2006, 01:39 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

The reason the dealers recommend the download is mostly $$$. It can be downloaded from the digital tech by them which is no more than a laptop and they get you for the download and also labor to do it. Comes out to be a healthy nut and is still lean due to EPA regs.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:56 AM
Carmell RKC
Road Captain

Thanks guys. A point that I had missed Terry, was that the download is for the A/C only and not both. I think I will be biting the bullet on this one, Rob.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:14 AM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

I had great luck with my V&H Ovals and the Fuelpak. I think the reason you don't hear much about the Fuelpak is because the Fuelpak only supports V&H and a few other pipes. With so many different pipes out there, SERT & PCIII cover more applications. If you are not going to do any further mods to your engine I would wholeheartedly recommend the Fuelpak WITHOUT the download. It is the least expensive and simplest to install and program. You can always go to the SERT later as needs and finances allow.

BUT YOU MUST DO SOMETHING NOW!

With the increased air intake of the Stage 1 you will run into troubles QUICKLY if you do not do something IMMEDIATELY to modify your fuel delivery.

Primo

P.S. Feel free to PM me with any Fuelpak questions.

Old 02-07-2006, 04:50 AM
mchacon
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, V&H bagger duals, ovals and VH Fuel Pak is fine if no further engine mods?

How does the cost compare between: VH Fuel Pak / SERT / PCIII?

Also in San Diego neither of the 4 dealers in the area had ever heard of the SERT. One recommended the HD Racing Fueler with the V&H Duals and ovals. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Also who manufactures and distributes the SERT?

One more question, is it true with the V&H FuelPak once installed your good to go without dyno tuning?

Old 02-07-2006, 04:56 AM
mchacon
Cruiser

That's V & H Dresser Duals. my bad

Old 02-08-2006, 02:41 AM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

Q: How does the cost compare between: VH Fuel Pak / SERT / PCIII?

A: Fuelpak is least expensive of the 3. Try mandmcycles.com .

Q: Also in San Diego neither of the 4 dealers in the area had ever heard of the SERT. One recommended the HD Racing Fueler with the V&H Duals and ovals. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Also who manufactures and distributes the SERT?

A: I believe the H-D Racing Fueler and Screaming Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) are the same thing.

Q: One more question, is it true with the V&H FuelPak once installed your good to go without dyno tuning?

A: Yes, the Fuelpak is good to go without dyno. On their website or with the docs that come with it you just find your bike, pipes, stage 1 and ECM download status and then it will give you
the 19 modes to pragram in and you are good to go. Installation on my RKC was about 20 minutes and programming literally about 5 minutes. I am no wrench so if I can do it anyone can.

Again, the Fuelpak is only good if modifying air cleaner and pipes only. Anything more extensive then it's time for SERT or PCIII.

Anyone can PM me for further details.

Primo

Old 02-08-2006, 03:39 AM
mchacon
Cruiser

Hey primo,

Did you install the pipes too? If so any thing tricky I should be concerned with?

Quick Reply: A little confused