Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Seats - 5'6" rider - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:01 AM
pxs130
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Seats - 5'6" rider - need advice

Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I can't believe how great the info is here & howhelpfuleveryone is!!

I'm trying to find a comfortable solo seat that looks good on a Road King. I'm only 5'6", so my options are limited. I've tried several seats... I actually have 4 different seats in my garage right now. The stock Harley seat is firm and not all that comfortable for 2+ hours of riding in a day. I have one that's a one-piece, and one that's a two-piece.

I bought a Harley Reach seat last summer. By far the most comfortable seat that I own, but... the passenger pad is too high and takes away from the look of the bike. I bought a Mustang solo seat, but I find it too firm and it moves me too far back, but it looks good!

I'm curious about the Harley Sundowner solo seat. Does anyone have it? It's supposed to be one of the most comfortable seats for a long ride, but I'd like to know about the rider position. Any info on how it compares to either a Mustang solo or the Harley Reach seat?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Road King Seats - 5'6" rider - need advice

I have the sundowner seat.( two up ) feels great. I can ride all day. I' 5'8" with stumps for legs ant it fits me ok. there is a member here that will mod your seat for you and from what I've heard, does a great job too. If you go with the sundowner, you may want to have the front narrowed a bit so you can flat foor your scoot. The sundowner is a bit wider than the stock seat.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:52 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Might want to take which ever seat is good for you NOW & SEND IT out to Mean City Cycles
http://www.meancitycycles.com/
They have re-done many seats for member here in the past...

Old 03-30-2008, 06:12 AM
mchildree
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't like the stock seat on my RKC right away, and tried a couple at the dealer. For the record, I'm average height/size (5'9"). The Sundowner two-up spread my legs too far apart. The Reach seat was the solution, and I rode it for almost 10K miles. The height of the passenger pad bothered me as well (that's the Reach in my photo below), and after the foam compressed, it got a little restrictive in the crotch area. I'm assuming that I didn't just grow larger at 45 yrs of age... I also tried a Sundowner solo that a local fellow forum member had for sale, and it really put me up there...I sat so much higher after being used to the Reach that I didn't feel in control of the bike.

I just sold the Reach and got a Mustang Sport Touring one-piece. It seemed a little too high at first, but it settled in fairly quickly and now I get good ground contact. The comfort is really, really good.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Lewd_Dude
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my stock seat so far. Feels real nice, then again, I traded in a 1200N. So I guess any seat on a road king would feel great...LOL I would have the reach seat modified or re-shaped for the passenger pad, or even cut off to be a solo? Good luck.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:29 AM
radridd
Tourer

Know exactly where youre coming from. I am 5'7" and have 3 seats for my SG. The lowest most comfy seat I have is the mustang daytripper. Its is low and narrow in the front, great for the vertically challenged. Just bought a C&C fastback which looks great on the bike but is a little wide and spreads my landing gear too far when stopping. The C&C seats fit like they are molded to the bike and workmanship is excellent. The advise on Mean City mod is my next step. Planing to send the stocker for memory foam mod.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:11 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Lower the front end ,and the rear end about 1 inch each then get the sundowner solo seat.
Works for me I am of avarge higth and short of inseam too.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:49 AM
pxs130
Cruiser

Thanks all for the advice!! It looks like I have a few options. I found a local dealer that has a Sundownwer Solo on order and will let me try it when it arrives. I will post my thoughts in a few weeks.