Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Ape or not to Ape....that's the question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:33 PM
HarleyLew
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To Ape or not to Ape....that's the question?

Ok...Harleylew is in the market for an up grade set of Handlebars. Currently I'm looking at these: http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=2507

They're the big 1" burly bars, they reach further back about 2" more than stock...

The other ones are: http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=2505

However the choice goes.....my question is which one?

Will my arms tire with the apes?

Will a long ride be more comfortable with the Burly bars?

Which would look good on the '07King?

Thanks in advance for you advice and help!

HarleyLew

Old 03-29-2008, 11:40 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: To Ape or not to Ape....that's the question?

if you ride very long with your hands above your heart your hands will numb. i see many riders at stops shaking the circulation back into their hands. they are not illegal in most states because they look stupid but because they are not safe. if you cannot keep your both hands on the bars in a tight turn you shouldn't have apes. when i was in college in the 70s i worked in the family H-D shop and built many for customers, boy did i hate test riding them.
than goodness the fad of installing over length fork tubes has gone away. ride safe.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:45 PM
HarleyLew
Cruiser

Thanks Huff...

I like the look of the 508s...seems like enough pull back for me. I was just wondering if anyone had these installed or something simular?

Old 03-29-2008, 11:48 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Wild 1's WO508 on my '01 RKC and we put Wild 1's WO518 on my son's '05 RK - I liked his better then my WO508... I put Wild 1's Chubby Mini Apes on my '07 RG... Wild 1 make some nice bars!!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:55 PM
HarleyLew
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy

I have Wild 1's WO508 on my '01 RKC and we put Wild 1's WO518 on my son's '05 RK - I liked his better then my WO508... I put Wild 1's Chubby Mini Apes on my '07 RG... Wild 1 make some nice bars!!

Did you ride your son's RK with the 0518s? How did your wrist's feel, natural or out of alignment? I'm looking at touring long hauls when I get back to the states, I have it here in Okinawa with stock bars...and just on this 65milelong Island my neck and between my shoulderblades catch fire...[:@]

I guess if you had to pick for yourself, which one would it be, I see you said you liked the 0518s better.

Thanks,

HarleyLew

Old 03-30-2008, 12:12 AM
MustBBrent
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

At 6'6", I am aping it. Wild1s 10" apes. Everyone I have talked to say I should have gone higher with the 12.5" apes. But I thought they looked a bit too tall on the king. just my .02

Old 03-30-2008, 12:15 AM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go with the 518's i am 6 ft even and when i plunk my butt in the seat my hands fall naturally rt on the grips..no sore neck/back..tried a few.. these fit

Old 03-30-2008, 12:40 AM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your arm's getting tired should have no effect at all as long as they are not over your head. If your hands are at or below your shoulders you should be able to ride safely and comfortable all day long. My stock bars gave me lower back pain, so I could only imagine what the beach bars would do to my back..

Old 03-30-2008, 01:18 AM
G Funk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apes on a King look sick, many different styles. For long distances though, your arms will get tired. Most get used to it. I actually went w/ 12.5 baby apes on my SG. Looksgood, arms don't get tiredandmore comfortable than stock.

16+ in. apes for looks, 12.5 in. for comfort.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:28 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: HarleyLew

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy

Did you ride your son's RK with the 0518s? How did your wrist's feel, natural or out of alignment? I'm looking at touring long hauls when I get back to the states, I have it here in Okinawa with stock bars...and just on this 65milelong Island my neck and between my shoulderblades catch fire...[:@]

I guess if you had to pick for yourself, which one would it be, I see you said you liked the 0518s better.

Thanks,

HarleyLew

You bet I did... That's why I liked his over mine.. The 508's put my wrist's (as you stated) out of alignment where the Kids 518 felt natural - I would Highly Recommend the 518 over the 508's...

Quick Reply: To Ape or not to Ape....that's the question?