Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem after selling bags looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:55 PM
capt945
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem after selling bags looking for advice.

Looking for a little help on this issue. I sold a set of bags and shipped them UPS to the buyer and when they arrived they were damaged. Box had been packed full of foam,bubble wrapwas placedbetween bags &rolled up newspaper taped onthe ends and sides of bag togivemore space for the foambut still they ended up with a crack on the rear corner of the bag ( top edge of the bag) no small crack but a complete crack of about 1/2" to 3/4 ". Bags were packed with the rear of the bags facing the outside of the box and the front of the bags faced inward w/bubble wrap and foam between them.
Filed claim with UPS and they went an picked up the bags to get them checked out. The buyer and I talked on Thursday and he had gotten a price on getting them fixed since he intended to have them painted.
Well I check my email today, I have a message stating that he wants his money back because he's taking a trip and needs bags an this isn't what he bargained for. So what do I do refund the money? wait to hear from UPS or what. If UPS doesn't claim the damage was caused by them I had explained to the buyer that we would work this out.
This was a set of saddlebags from a 2002 Road King Police and except for 2 nicks( buyer aware of these and pics showed them)on the right top cover edge these bags were in great shape including the paint job.

So what do y'all think I'm not going to beat the dude out of his money or the damage cost. But I think we need to wait to hear from UPS and see what they say and how much they will cover for the reapirs.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:01 PM
asuperheat
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Problem after selling bags looking for advice.

My rule of thumb is treat him the way you would hope to be treated in the same circumstance. That being said if he did not want insurance on the shiping then it is his problem imo. If you give him the money back get the bags back first and give him his money minus shipping both ways.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Forget About It
Banned

wait tell you get the bags back first bro

Old 03-29-2008, 03:08 PM
troutbum1971
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
ORIGINAL: asuperheat

My rule of thumb is treat him the way you would hope to be treated in the same circumstance. That being said if he did not want insurance on the shiping then it is his problem imo. If you give him the money back get the bags back first and give him his money minus shipping both ways.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:09 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: asuperheat

Been there - Done just that

If insurance was a option and he refused it - Then that was his choice...
If this was not offered and UPS doen't find then at fault...
Then I would refund the $$$ back once you get the bags back..

Old 03-29-2008, 03:20 PM
capt945
Tourer

Thanks for the input. This is the direction I was leaning towards but just wanted to hear from a few others. Last thing I would want is to be beat out of hard earned money so once i get the bags back he'll get his refund.

New title of ad: Anyone want to buy a set of raod king bags with a vent port in the left one. Must pick up in person afraid to ship!!!!

Old 03-29-2008, 03:22 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm the buyer and I'm not blaming the seller, I never thought he would attempt to beat me out of the $, and insurance was never an issue because it was never offered. I simply could not imagine a seller shipping without insurance, since I always include it,which is not a point because apparently it was insured anyway. None the less I've sold a lot on Ebay and a fair amount here.Because Ihave trust in folks on the forum, I often ship without having thecheck sent first.My policy has always been to trust the buyer and make it right for him. Actually I'm kind of sad that this happened and it is being brought to the forum. I'm really not worried, just bothered and now will either have to ride on our scheduled trip without bags (not a good option) or buy new ones and wait, who knows how long for UPS to do their thing. So what do you think I should do?

Old 03-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What would you want done if the roles we reversed? That's how I would handle it.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:25 PM
capt945
Tourer

Well cbpa since this was my first ebay sale I was looking for advice. Like I said when we spoke this would be taken care of so why not call and talk to me instead of responding here. You have my number.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:33 PM
sewerat
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar istance not too long ago. I shipped a package that actually went missing. Ther was no insurance on the item but the included $100 i sold this item for $250+shipping, after i refunded the guy his money i got a phone call from the post office... they found the package,a month late, and delivered it, now i was out the $250 and the package but again doing the trust thing with guys from this forum he did re-pay the 250 and all went well in the end.

Quick Reply: Problem after selling bags looking for advice.