Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem after selling bags looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:02 PM
BaldEagleou812
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Problem after selling bags looking for advice.

I would lean towards giving the money back ASAP as the buyer stated this was more than he had bargained for. and weather UPS pays or not is not his prob.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Give him his money back YESTERDAY. Bad things happen to people who don't do the right thing. Karma.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:00 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im a little confused! If the package was damaged by the shipper that being ups then the resolution is between ups and the buyer, not the seller. In fact most times the claim has to be filed by the receiver. And ups does pay, I know Ive shipped many times over the years and some arrive damaged and the buyer files the claim and UPS investigates and payes never had aproblem. The other thought is if the buyer files the claim then UPS will pay them not the seller.

In fact if you noticed on Ebay now puts a disclaimer on when you bid that the seller is NOT responsible for shipping problems. I would still probably give the buyer a refund but I would make sure that insurance payment would come to me. just mtc.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:16 PM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

was the item insured? i ALWAYS insure just so i DON'T have to worry about refunds. ive moved some high end guitars and never had an issue . insurance is peace of mind

Old 03-29-2008, 10:18 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Insurance was the way to go, refund is your next step. Work it out between seller and buyer, butit to be a UPS problem to me. I think this is a lesson for someone

Old 03-29-2008, 10:18 PM
spence222
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fishcop...I received damanged goods thru UPS, I brought it to their attention..BUT, the insurance was paid by the seller thus the claim was between the seller and UPS. Now the wait begins....it took me almost 10 months to get my $800.00 back ( seller was being an a*s, didn't think he should refund money untill he received ins. check)...just a chance we all take as a seller and a buyer.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer

I've noticed that quite a few folks have responded with different themes. One theme is to treat the buyer as you would want to be treated. The other theme is that if the buyer didn't pay to insure the package, then the damage is on him. I can't agree with the latter theme. When the seller states he is selling an undamaged product, the buyer pays market price for an undamaged product...then it seems to me that the buyeris entitled to receive an undamaged part or a complete refund. I'm thinking that the insurance is the responsibility of the seller and that any damage that occurs in shipment is on the seller.

If you bought a toolbox from Sears, and it arrived damaged, whose problem is that? You would expect Sears to replace it! You really can't proceed against UPS since the shipping customer is Sears. It seems to me that Sears is the party that has to make the claim against UPS.

Other thoughts?

Andy

Old 03-29-2008, 10:38 PM
jeffrey98837
Cruiser

Damaged Package Claims Process

Damaged Packages

Damage to a package can be reported by a shipper, recipient, or by UPS. After a damage inspection is performed by UPS, the shipper of record is contacted with the results. Depending on the results, the shipper can file a claim for the repair or replacement cost of the package contents up to the declared value.

The steps in a damaged package claim are as follows:

1. Damage Reported

A shipper or recipient can report a package that has been damaged during shipment. The shipper can also submit documentation in support of the claim online, or by fax or mail, at the time damage is reported. In the event that a damaged package is discovered while still in the UPS system, we will notify the shipper of recordand providedetails. Once damage has been reported, you can check the status of the claim online, anytime.

Note: Damage can be reported online only for packages that have an origination and destination within the United States. To report damage of international packages, contact UPS.

Report a Damaged Package[/align]Check Claim Status[/align]Contact UPS[/align]

2. UPS Inspects Package if Required

UPS will inspect the damaged package to determine the cause of damage and verify proper packing materials were used (in accordance with the shipping terms). UPS may inspect the package at the shipper's or receiver's site, or may collect the package for inspection at a UPS facility.

Once the UPS investigation is complete, a notification letter will be mailed or faxed to the shipper. UPS will not send inspection information to the receiver of the package.

3. Claim Authorized

[ul][*]If the claim is issued, a Damage/Loss Notification claim letter will be mailed or faxed to the shipper of record; UPS will not send the claim letter to a receiver[*]If the claim is not approved, UPS will notify the shipper; the shipper can contact UPS with any questions or concerns[/ul]

4. UPS Reviews Documents

It is essential that the shipper supplies UPS with documentation that supports the actual repair or replacement cost of the merchandise, up to the declared value, as requested in the Damage/Loss Notification claim letter. This documentation can be provided either when the damage is first reported, or after the Damage/Loss notification is issued. Supporting documentation can include original invoices, purchase orders, or other information required by UPS.

UPS will:

[ul][*]Determine the value declared, if any, for the contents of the package[*]Verify that the product falls within the guidelines of the UPS terms or contract with the shipper [/ul]
A UPS mailing address and fax number will be provided in the Damage/Loss Notification claim letter. In addition, instructions on how to submit supporting documentation online will be provided.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:50 PM
91fe
Advanced

I bought I sundowner pillion off of ebay from a seller in Canada once.When it hit customs...they opened the box with a razor knife like a can of beans and put a 5" gash in the seat.He sent it signature required and I had to pick it up at the post office. As soon as the lady put it up on the counter it was obvious what had happened... you could see the damaged seat through the poorly re-taped box and I refused shipment. I happened to have my camera in the car, so I ran out and got it to snap a few pictures before they sent the package back. Long story short... the seller was*somewhat* cool about it and refunded my money less the paypal fees... once he got the seat back.

I'd suggest you do the same. Give the guy his money back after you get the bags back and file a claim. It's not the buyer's responsibility to have to deal withUPS... that wasn't part of the deal.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:01 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

If I got a damagerd set of bags from my Harley Dealer they sure aren't going to refund me until they get their bags back. If it were me, and I have been selling on eBay as a business for several years, I would offer to pay to have the bags fixed and offer a significant discount not to have them shipped back to me again, but that is me. If the buyer refused, I would refund his money, in full, after the bags were returned, postage paiud with no additional damage. If they were damaged by shipper error in packing and the buyer packs them like the shipper did, chances are they will get more damaged on the return trip. (ask me how I know this!)Sometimes you eat the big one to keep a customer happy, but thats what it is all about. Certainly he could get the bags fixed and painted quicker than returning them and starting over. Just MO.

Quick Reply: Problem after selling bags looking for advice.